Water Heater Gas Direct Vent question

Old 10-14-07, 07:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Gas Direct Vent question

I'm replacing my water heater. The current heater has a blower hooked to the gas direct vent (which hasn't been working). The new water heater has no blower on the top connected to the vent. If I install this new Rheem and hook up the direct vent with a 1/4 pitch per foot I should be okay? Can I buy a seperate blower if I have to install one later due to code violations / or gas not expelling outside correctly?

Thanks 4 the help.
Matt Luke

Old 10-15-07, 06:23 PM
If you are not venting into an acceptable chimney, you need a powervented water heater. It has an integral spill switch that shuts down the burner when it is not venting properly. It is also UL approved and packaged as such. No matter how you proceed, get a CO detector or two. You are on shaky DIY ground.

Ken

Old 10-17-07, 07:21 PM
P
if you have a direct vent or power vent heater right now you NEED to replace it with the same style heater. if you try and install a standard style heater you will poison you and your family with exhaust gasses. if you're trying to save money, maybe there are options that involve moving the heater to an area that will allow the use of a regular vent.

paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: