after draining water heater, now it doesnt stay hot

Old 10-18-07, 03:08 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

hi sorry if this has been posted but i searched and i could find stuff about hot water heaters not staying hot, but i couldn't find any in my situation. so here it goes:

my city water gets flushed back once a month so there was all this muddy and rusty water everytime we used the hot water, so I had drained my hot water heater. I turned off the electricity to my heater via the breaker box and shut off the cold inlet valve and drained like normal. well when all was finished (about 7 hrs later due to lack of replacement parts cuz the plastic drain valve broke in the process), I turned back on the electric and turned on the cold inlet valve and opened a few of my hot water faucets in the house. when everything seemed right and the hot water side was flowing good, i shut all the faucets off and waited for the hot water to get hot again. well everything seemed fine until we all started to take showers and it would only stay hot for like 10 minutes and then start to get cold, whereas normally it could last for about an hour or so. so the only things that could pop into my mind was that since i had the electricity off to the hot water heater for so long, could that have reset my thermostat or something? so i went to go look but everything is sealed up and i didnt want to ruin anything so i havent touched the thermostat at all. but one thing i did notice is that the water coming from the pressure valve at the top of the heater is scolding hot while the water at the bottom where the drain valve is, is ice cold. i dont really understand that, cuz wouldn't all the water be mixing up? now after searching this site im thinking maybe its the bottom element. can i replace that easily? thanks for anyones help in advance.

Old 10-18-07, 03:39 PM
S
SZ8

Are you sure you turn on the power AFTER the water heater
is filled fully with water? If not, one of the heating element is
burnt. you can replace it.

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-18-07 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Quote edited. No need to quote entire post in order to reply.
Old 10-18-07, 08:50 PM
O
if i remember correctly i pretty sure i turned back on the electric after water was flowing thoroughly thru the faucets, so maybe the tank wasnt completely full and could have burned out one of the elements. so now i guess the question is how do i determine which one is blown and how to replace it? thanks for ur help!

Old 10-19-07, 07:51 AM
S
SZ8
There are quite a few thread talking about how to trouble shoot/
repair electric WH. Just do a search.

Also, www.diychatroom.com (plumbing session) is a good source.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by onelovekir
if i remember correctly i pretty sure i turned back on the electric after water was flowing thoroughly thru the faucets, so maybe the tank wasnt completely full and could have burned out one of the elements. so now i guess the question is how do i determine which one is blown and how to replace it? thanks for ur help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: