No Hot Water

Old 10-23-07, 05:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No Hot Water

We recently bought a house that had been foreclosed on. It was winterized in August (go figure, I live in Texas). Anyways, we just moved in this weekend and I turned on the electricity before the water supply. After about 10 minutes I see that water is coming out of a vent pipe on the side of the house. I figured it had something to do with our water softener not being on but shut off the water anyways.

The next day the water softener guy comes over to service the unit and tells me the WS has nothing to do with the water being vented. I turn off the water supply again and go check the water heater. The TP valve has been tripped (explains the water being vented.) I reset the valve and go about my business. We have 2 days worth of warm water and approx. 8 showers worth of hot water before it finally gave out last night. I noticed it when drawing a bath for my kid. The water was luke warm and then went cold.

SO........I'm guessing that since the tank probably wasn't full because of winterization and I turned on the electricity before the water that I burned something out. My question is why did I get 2 days worth of water if that's the case? Also, when I shut off the valve and re-open it (at the top of the WH) there is no sound or pressure change.

Unit is: Rheem 81V52D Electric

It also has a potable water expansion tank coming out of a "t" valve at the top of the WH.

Thanks in advance. Love the site.

Old 10-24-07, 03:58 AM
J
Having the power on with no water covering the elements likely caused their failure, so I think I am safe in suggesting that you replace the elements. They are not expensive, but make sure you get the correct ones, and easily replaced. Shut off the power and drain the tank to below the elements. Do not turn on the power until the tank has refilled. Check for leaks at the elements.

Old 10-24-07, 05:21 AM
A
When you refill the tank, go upstairs to your bathtub and run the hot water to get the air out. Run it until clear water comes out. Don't use any other faucet because it will clog the screens.

Old 10-24-07, 09:47 AM
R
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try replacing both elements tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: