Replace? And with what? NEWB 2 Water Heaters

Old 11-19-07, 04:55 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace? And with what? NEWB 2 Water Heaters

Good day.

I have a 40 gal RUUD PEH40-2 Electric Water heater.
It is the original water heater installed 13 years ago when my house was built. I was suprised to hear they usually dont last this long.. and not even close for most all.

I am looking to replace this to avoid water problems. The drain pan is cracked and would never hold water in case of a leak so it could drain away. My worry is it will go bad and flood my garage and kitchen.

I am leaning towards replacement, but have not heard any gurgling or noises and it looks pretty good.

Also, if I do replace, what do you recommend? I have a 1,100 sf house, not very big, and just 3 ppl in the house with not much water consumption. What size do you recommend and what rating for efficiency should I look for?

This is new to me, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KDC23

Old 11-20-07, 04:34 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Electric water heaters generally last longer than gas-fired units. Thirteen years for an electric is not at all uncommon.

It also depends on the water. Using good municipal (relatively soft) water my experience with electric heaters and zero maintenance is about eighteen years before it starts to leak.

Electric water heaters are 100% efficient as far as converting the electricity to heat. More expensive heaters will have more (or better) insulation in the jacket and that cuts down on the standby losses. I had an electric heater in my old house that after about fifteen years still had the ability of holding the water hot enough for a shower after a three day power outage. I suspect that the water heaters of today are at least this well insulated.

Water heaters generally do not fail catastrophically (there are exceptions) but instead develop leaks. You may wish to replace that drain pan now and also the temperature and pressure (T&P) valve and then simply wait until a leak develops. That is probably what I would do.

Old 11-21-07, 04:27 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Furd.
Thank you for the reassurance. It runs well and does not seem to lose a lot of energy, and with all the horror stories I have heard it just tends to sway me a bit. But that is good to hear. The water is fairly good, the unit seems to run well, and yes, the drain pan is a worry.

Wish there was an easy way to replace it without disconnecting all of the piping, but cheap alternative to replacing the unit if it will last several more years.

Thanks for the good information and reassurance.
Will get that pan replaced in case it does go!
KDC23

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: