Water heater is very hot to the touch...normal?

Old 11-29-07, 06:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater is very hot to the touch...normal?

I have a 40 gal propane water heater. It is no spring chicken... and I notice that the bottom 6 inches is almost too hot to touch when the burner has been on for about 10 minutes. Is this normal, or a sign of thinning walls, or a sign of too much sediment? I'm not sure what to make of it, I just noticed it this week but it may have been like that for a long time.

jc

Old 11-29-07, 10:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Old water heaters weren't that well insulated - doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.

Old 12-01-07, 11:44 AM
C
I would also make sure it is drafting properly.

Old 12-01-07, 03:49 PM
Down where you light the pilot, there should be an inner and outer door. Sometimes the inner door gets lost of discarded. Bad Thing.....it can cause the outer door area to be too hot.

Old 12-01-07, 09:50 PM
J
The inner door is missing...but where do I find a replacement? Having said that, the problem of hot walls is all the way around, the bottom 6 inches or so. The outer door hasn't seemed that hot, but I'll check it again to be sure.

Old 12-01-07, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say how hard the water is there. You say old water tank so. Over time the gas tanks do build like a stone in them of like calcium on the bottom and up along the heat vent tube This tends to make the outside feel hot also and make the water heater run a lot longer than it should. Sure the draft is ok??? No back draft????

Old 12-05-07, 04:35 PM
J
I don't know how hard the water is here, it's Los Angeles County water. The draft seems to be ok, although I'd welcome any suggestions for checking it and improving it. One thing I just noticed is that right when the water heater goes on, the right side feels much hotter than the left side...the right side hot to the touch, the left side cool. I wonder if the burner itself is too far to the right and if it is, how I can center it.

I'm also worried about putting an insulating blanket on the outside of the water heater...would the hot walls(bottom 6 inches or so) cause a fire hazard. I think I could keep the blanket above this level if necessary. Any thoughts on this?

jc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: