Rust on Top of Water Heater

Old 12-02-07, 05:58 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rust on Top of Water Heater

Have a US Craftsmaster Gas Water Heater about 4 years old came with our house. On the top of the water heater by the flute and hot and cold water pipes there is rust corrosion and scale build up. The flute is a direct vent I believe which goes up about 6-8" from the opening and then bends with an elbow joint about 45 degrees into the brink chimney. I just had the T&P valve replaced since it triggered while I was home (Thank God). My concern is whether I'm going to have to replace the hot water heater entirely due the corrosion on top of the water heater. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 12-03-07, 04:41 AM
J
Is the rust/corrosion on the flue pipe or the plumbing?? Is the plumbing copper?? If on the flue pipe, there may be a lot of moisture in the combustion air, or poor combustion. Has the burner ever been cleaned??

If the plumbing connections, there may have been a slight leak at the joint and this is causing the rust. Since you say it was new 4 yrs ago, I will assume no galvanized pipe. The only way to fix a small leak is to break the solder connection and retighten everything, then resolder.

Old 12-03-07, 10:21 AM
C
The piping is copper. It looked like there was a leak at one point but it looks like it mineralized close. There is no inidication of a water leak. There is scale and rust about the mouth on the opening of the water heater but not on the flue piping. The burner has not been cleaned since we moved into the house. The basement is unfinished. Don't know if dampness is mixing with the combustion air. I recently been insulating the basement to make it less drafty.

Old 12-03-07, 03:32 PM
J
If there is corrosion/rust on the flue pipe, it should be replaced. Since you are not sure of what is needed, I recommend a pro have a look. They can also do burner cleaning while they are there. Avoid the yellow pages. Ask friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc., for references.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: