How much to replace hot water heater?

Old 12-03-07, 08:47 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much to replace hot water heater?

My hot water heater was stolen

How much does it cost to replace it? Can I do it myself, or do I need to hire a contractor?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13643113@N00/2078818727

Thank you for your help.

Old 12-04-07, 04:06 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Frank, I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum.

STOLEN ? WHY ? I can't imagine...

hopefully you will get some suggestions here.

Old 12-04-07, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't see for sure in your picture if you have gas or electric.

Round numbers, a 40 gallon water heater might run $350 to $500. Install + permit could be same range. A contractor might cost a little more than calling the home store, but will give better quality work, and better service down the road.

Given that your heater was stolen, I would have lots of questions about the condition of the water, gas, and/or electirc connections. I would not take this one on as your first big DIY project. If pipes, wires, or gas lines were damaged, there will be some extra charges.

Old 12-07-07, 11:28 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
From the pics you posted I'm guessing your water heater was electric. From a DIY standpoint, replacing an electric water heater is pretty straight forward. They require minimal electrical or plumbing skills. I probably wouldn't do a gas one.

You need to determine the condition of your piping. Was the WH disconnected or ripped out? Was the electrical supply disconected or were the wires cut? If everything was simply disconnected it's an easy DIY job. If wiring or piping needs to be replaced then you need to decide if you have the skills to do it.

Why would anyone steal a friggen' water heater?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: