Help replacing PB to Hot water heater

Old 12-11-07, 01:38 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I'll ask the short question first, then the long explanation:

Is there any reason that the hot water heater needs to be first in the cold water supply line, or can it be last? Does it make any difference?

The deal is, the house I bought last summer has PB plumbing. I've already had two leaks, so I'm replacing the system. I've already done the hot water from the tank to all the fixtures, now I'm working on the cold. My water heater is located at the back of the house. Supply is from the front, and runs directly to the hot water heater. Right before the shut-off to the heater there is a T, and from there supply splits -- one part to the heater and the other back to the rest of the house. It would be a lot easier just to branch off of the main supply to the various fixtures, ending the supply at the water heater at the back of the house, rather than doubling back. Any suggestions.

FYI, we do have fairly low pressure to the house. Supply is 3/4" PB, 1/2" running to the fixtures. I am replacing with PEX.

Old 12-11-07, 03:47 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
The idea is to minimize surprises for people exposed to hot water, especially those showering...

You want good balance in pressure drops between the hot and cold water distribution systems. That's why the water heater should get its supply first.

Old 12-11-07, 07:32 PM
T
Excellent point!

Thank you! I will do it that way.

Old 01-07-08, 01:44 AM
B
Hello,
See the steps,
For Remove the Old Water Heater:
# Turn off the water heater's power at the breaker. Test the wires coming in to the heater to ensure that the power is off.
# Disconnect the wiring from the heater. Mark the wires as you remove them so you know which ones go where when you rewire the new water heater.
# Shut off the water supply to the water heater and open all the hot water spigots in the house. Connect a quality garden hose to the tank's drain valve and locate the draining end of the hose in an area that won't be adversely affected by the scalding hot water. Allow the tank to drain completely.
# Disconnect the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet pipes from the unit. If the pipes are hard-plumbed to to the water heater, you will have to cut the lines and then reattach them later. If your pipes are attached with water heater connector hoses, you can simply unscrew them.
# Remove the old water heater. Water heaters can be heavy, so you may need a helper.

For Install the New Water Heater:
# Position the new water heater in place.
# Reconnect the water inlet and hot water outlet pipes to the new water heater. Check out our repairing frozen or broken pipes arthicle for detailed information on solvent welding plastic pipe or soldering copper pipe. If your old water heater did not have water heater connector hoses, now is a good time to add them.
# Turn the water supply to the water heater back on. Ensure that the hot water spigots are all still open so air is not trapped in the hot water lines as the tank fills. Allow the tank to fill until water flows from each hot water spigot. Once water flows from each spigot, allow it to run for one minute before turning off the spigots.
# Reconnect the wiring to the heater according the manufacturer's instructions. Turn the breaker back on and wait for the water to heat up.
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: