Electric water heater spewing hot water

Old 12-13-07, 09:22 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Electric water heater spewing hot water

I happened to be down in the basement when my 52 gal electric water heater started spewing very hot water out of the t/p drain line. I turned power off and water supply off.

30 mins. later I turned the water supply back on, but the overflow continued. I presume the valve did not close?

What would cause this initial overflow? Note - I had recently adjusted the top thermostat (only at ~130) and had not replaced the cover plate. Would this affect the sensitivity of the reset switch (since it wouldn't get as hot?). The reset switch had not popped.

The tank is 16+ years old. I've replaced both thermostats at different times (not in past 3 years).

Thanks,
Paul.

Old 12-14-07, 04:04 AM
J
Sometimes those T&P valves go bad , and sometimes they are doing what they are supposed to do, relieve excessive pressure or too hot water. Was the water extremely hot?? Check the temp. The temp and pressure ratings are on the tag on the valve. If you don't seem to excessively hot water or high pressure, the valve is likely bad and fairly easy to replace. But that heater is getting pretty old in water heater life spans. Might be time to consider a new one.

Old 12-14-07, 10:25 AM
P
The water coming out last night was VERY hot.

Well after leaving it overnight, I turned the water supply back on this morning. No more overflow, so I turned the power back on.

Even after taking a shower the hot faucet water is still VERY hot. So I've turned off the power.

Is there any way to test the thermostats, or even tell when they are calling for power? Should I replace both?

Thanks,

Paul.

Old 10-14-09, 10:52 PM
J
Thumbs up water heater spewing hot water

My hot shower turned Very hot this morning, I suspected one of the kids messed around with the thermostat on our gas water heater.

I checked the utility room that night to find water on the floor and spewing out of the tanks pressure spout. I turned the heat down a few notches and opened the valve for a few seconds. The valve did not completely close. Then I ran hot water in the shower for 10-15 minutes to remove some of the excessively hot water from the tank.

Once the water is hot inside the tank it will take a day or two of being turned off to cool down enough to where it will no longer burn the skin by scolding. So I drained some by running the shower while the thermostat was turned way down.

After checking the utility room again I found water continuing to spew out of the pressure valve, so I opened it all the way and closed it, and it still wasn't stopping. Once more and then the water stopped dripping.
These valves can go bad, but sometimes they just need some extra movement and they will return to normal.

Good luck ya'all

Old 10-15-09, 02:58 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Paul, the first thing you have to do is get the water cooled back down. Turning the power off is the first step, but then go open a hot valve (tub, shower, sink -- wherever) and let it run. The tub will be fastest -- there's no restriction on the spout. Let it run until the water turns cool or cold. Then go turn the power to the WH back on.

If it overheats again, replace your thermostats -- both of them. (It'll take about an hour for the WH to heat all of the water in it. After that you'll know whether it overheats or not.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: