Gas Hot Water Pilot Flame

Old 12-22-07, 01:31 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Hot Water Pilot Flame

I have a Kenmore gas water heater that is 5 1/2 years old. The pilot light has been going out for no reason for the last year. I would relight and it would stay lit. But yesterday it would only stay lit for an hour. So I bought a new Thermocoupling at Lowes and replaced myself. Also blew out the pilot tubing and burner manifold while it was off. When I relight the pilot the flame is now so large it looks like the regular burner flame. I have called Sears as I believe it is still under warranty but the service charge is outrageous (if I could even get them to come out before Monday). Would really appreciate any suggestions for adjustment before I go out and try to find a gas control valve to replace.

Old 12-22-07, 10:07 PM
When you BLEW out the pilot tube-----did you use a compressor? Or did you BLOW with you mouth? I am suspecting that something blew off the end of the tube.

Charlie

Old 12-23-07, 07:23 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by imax2
I have a Kenmore gas water heater that is 5 1/2 years old. The pilot light has been going out for no reason for the last year. I would relight and it would stay lit. But yesterday it would only stay lit for an hour. So I bought a new Thermocoupling at Lowes and replaced myself. Also blew out the pilot tubing and burner manifold while it was off. When I relight the pilot the flame is now so large it looks like the regular burner flame. I have called Sears as I believe it is still under warranty but the service charge is outrageous (if I could even get them to come out before Monday). Would really appreciate any suggestions for adjustment before I go out and try to find a gas control valve to replace.

Look on the floor, you lost the orifice

Old 12-23-07, 10:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mbk3
Look on the floor, you lost the orifice

Yes. The orifice is typically about a 1/3 of an inch long and looks something like a hate or bell, with a small hole that regulates the flow of gas for the pilot flame and forms it into a jet.

Old 12-27-07, 01:13 PM
I
Just thought I post a big THANK YOU! for the replies! You guys were right on the money! It was a lost orifice - bought the part for $3. - replaced, installed and water heater seems to be working fine and so far have not had the original problem of dissappearing pilot light- course it's only been 20 hours. Really appreciate the everyone's posts, this website is great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: