Warranty on forced vent WH

Old 12-27-07, 05:44 AM
G
gsr
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Warranty on forced vent WH

I'm looking to buy a new forced vent water heater (50 Gallon) but I'm finding all of the FV ones only have 6 year warranties vs the 9-12 for regular vent WH's? Why is that? I'd think the tank and everything would be the same just with a blower on top (I could see 6 yr blower 12 yr tank warranty or something).

Anyone know of where I can get a better warranty on a forced vent unit at a reasonable cost compared to the 6yr warranty?

Thanks

Old 12-28-07, 07:04 AM
Why do you 'drive' on the 'parkway' and 'park' on the 'driveway'? That's the way it is, that's why. Some things are just that way.

MORE things can go wrong with a FV system to damage the WH that of a conventionally vented unit. It's not the WH that would be at fault in case it got damaged, it would most likely be the venting system. Higher temperature flue gases would certainly cause premature failure (given time) if your venting system was not functioning properly.

Think of it this way:

CAR manufacturers are giving away 100,000 mile warranties these days. If you put on a turbocharger and slap-stick transmission with a posi rear, do you think they would still warrantee the motor for 100,000 miles?

I rest my case judge.

What's the verdict?

Go conventional OR keep a real good eye on a FV unit to make sure nothing goes wrong with the venting system.

Does the application really require a FV unit? If it does, then your decision is already made up for you.

NOW, remember this, you WILL PAY MORE for the longer warranty if that is what you are looking for, and if one is available, and that is the way THAT is!
A GOOD installation is critical if you are looking for a long life for your WH.

BTW, even though the manufacturer only gives 6 years warranty, most WH last much longer. Remember to bleed debris from the bottom of the WH every 3 months or so by the drain valve. This will keep corrosion from eating up the bottom any may add years to the life of your WH.

Keep things simple.

Good luck!

Charlie

Old 12-28-07, 10:20 AM
G
gsr
Thanks

I figured the price would be higher for a longer warranty but I haven't even been able to find one longer than 6yr. I'm stuck with forced vent or electric due to the location in the house. I checked into tankless as an option but to pass inspection here I'd have to remove my 1" water line and replace it with a 1 1/4-1 1/2" line. Definately not going to do that.

I guess I'll get the 6 yr warranty, take care of it and hope.

Old 12-28-07, 04:41 PM
For the most part, the only difference on a 12 year heater from a regular 6 year is the price. They are sold in volume, and the extra dough more than makes up for an occasional warranty claim in the later years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: