Rotten egg smell hot water

Old 12-30-07, 06:43 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotten egg smell hot water

Did a lot of research on this, I have a 50gal hot water heater in a new home on city water. The first 5 months were fine then the hot water began to smell and got so bad we did not take showers. Found out I had a Magnesium rod that needed top be replaced. So a aluminium rod was installed and the system bleached. OK for 1 month now the smell is coming back. So I bleached the system again and the hot water heater went out, no hot water, called the plumber and he put in a new heating element, the old one had a big hole in it. It is only 10 months old?
So what is the smell now?

Brian

Old 12-30-07, 07:19 PM
G
Originally Posted by lanzarrule
Did a lot of research on this, I have a 50gal hot water heater in a new home on city water. The first 5 months were fine then the hot water began to smell and got so bad we did not take showers. Found out I had a Magnesium rod that needed top be replaced. So a aluminium rod was installed and the system bleached. OK for 1 month now the smell is coming back. So I bleached the system again and the hot water heater went out, no hot water, called the plumber and he put in a new heating element, the old one had a big hole in it. It is only 10 months old?
So what is the smell now?

Brian
Around here rotten egg smell is from high sulphur content in the water. There are treatment systems that take the sulphur out. We are on city water that is treated so we don't have the problem, but anybody around here on a private well needs a treatment system.

Old 01-09-08, 06:09 PM
L
I have city water that is treated.

Old 01-10-08, 07:17 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Divibrio Sulfurcans seems to be the most common cause here in Chicago, and "shock chlorination" is the suggested cure.

Below are two links to AO Smith White papers I reference in home inspection reports when we see this problem:

http://www.hotwater.com/bulletin/bulletin22.pdf
http://www.hotwater.com/bulletin/bulletin23.pdf

Old 01-14-08, 08:18 PM
I installed a wholehouse filter using a carbon filter on the cold line going to the water heater for a friend. The filter lasts a month, due to not treating the whole house system. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: