water heater temporary relocation

Old 01-24-08, 09:45 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
water heater temporary relocation

I'm planning on temporarily relocating my 50 gal electric hot water heater while I do some floor and wall repair work in the room where it is presently located. My question at this point concerns the proper procedure for draining and then refilling the heater. The following is the step-by-step procedure I am planning, but I need to know whether I might be overlooking anything.
1. Turn off circuit breaker and disconnect power to the heater. Connect hose to drain outlet at bottom of heater.
2. Close water inlet valve at water heater. Open hot water tap somewhere in the house.
3. Open drain valve at bottom of heater and allow all water to drain out. Close drain valve.
4. Relocate water heater. Re-connect water supply inlet and hot water outlet to plumbing.
5. Turn on water supply valve to heater and begin filling water heater. Watch open hot water tap until solid water runs from faucet with no air bubbles. When no more sign of air, close hot water tap. Allow tank to fill all the way.
6. Reconnect power to heater, turn on circuit breaker.

Any comments/suggestions? What about opening the pressure relief valve, and then closing at some point?

Old 01-24-08, 12:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you've got it!!

Old 01-24-08, 01:21 PM
What about opening the pressure relief valve, and then closing at some point?

Old 01-24-08, 01:25 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Why?? If the tank is drained from the bottom drain - and refilled later - I don't see the need to mess with the Pressure relief. My point is - I've seen more than a few relief valves begin to leak after being opened/closed a few times ---- be it gunk moving upwards to the valve or whatever - I don't like to overuse them.... Mebbe it's just me....

Old 01-24-08, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by thezster
Why?? If the tank is drained from the bottom drain - and refilled later - I don't see the need to mess with the Pressure relief.
Okay. Thanks thezster. I'll shall proceed now with confidence.

Old 01-24-08, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Out of the box here. Yes you have it right . But I find that it works best . If you open the drain valve first while there is still pressure in the tank . After the water starts out then close the cold water valve to it and open a hot water valve. Cause some times the valve tdown there are pluged up.

Old 01-24-08, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
But I find that it works best if you open the drain valve first while there is still pressure in the tank. After the water starts out then close the cold water valve to it and open a hot water valve.
Will do. Thanks Ed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: