thermal blankets Recomendations please?

Old 01-30-08, 09:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thermal blankets Recomendations please?

Looking to buy a thermal blanket for our water heater which is in our garage. The weather here has been in the low #'s w/ negative wind chills.

We have noticed on those days the water doesn't want to get as hot.

we have decided to buy a thermal blanket. We are heading out to the box store toinght to look at them.

One of the box stores sells a R-10 rating blanket for about $20.

Is r-10 sufficient or should we really consider something much thicker?

We want to maximize our savings but not over do it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-08, 12:23 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Do you have a gas or an electric water heater? Additional insulation on a recently manufactured (less that ten years old) electric heater will probably not make a significant difference.

Do you have warning labels on the water heater jacket? Covering the warning labels is likely a violation of the heater's listing and could negate warranty coverage along with being in violation of local codes. Even if you don't care about codes and warranties you cannot cover the air inlet, gas control valve or the top of a gas-fired water heater. Adding additional insulation in the other areas will have negligible positive effect.

Is the hot water outlet piping and all the hot water piping in unheated spaces properly insulated? Adding insulation to the piping will likely give far better results than will a blanket on the tank.

Old 01-30-08, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by furd
Do you have a gas or an electric water heater? Additional insulation on a recently manufactured (less that ten years old) electric heater will probably not make a significant difference.

Do you have warning labels on the water heater jacket? Covering the warning labels is likely a violation of the heater's listing and could negate warranty coverage along with being in violation of local codes. Even if you don't care about codes and warranties you cannot cover the air inlet, gas control valve or the top of a gas-fired water heater. Adding additional insulation in the other areas will have negligible positive effect.

Is the hot water outlet piping and all the hot water piping in unheated spaces properly insulated? Adding insulation to the piping will likely give far better results than will a blanket on the tank.

I did do some research on this topic and understand the newer models are less likely to need a blanket. I believe the husband said he checked to make sure the unit did not state anywhere on it to NOT use a blanket. It is a gas unit and is between 8-10 yrs old. The piping is mostly behind the wall which runs down to the crawl space. Crawl space has been insulated. However piping may not be wrapped underneath the home.

In my research I found some very helpful into and intend to have the husband check the piping to see if it is wrapped. I do not go into tight, dark tiny spaces..... lol

we have intentions of making sure that our system will benefit from a blanket and we intend to cut out the labels and insure safety too. We just need to know if we need a very insulated blanket or if an R-10 would be ok.

Thank you for your response. I hope my reply answered your questions.

Old 01-30-08, 03:26 PM
F
If your gas water heater is 8 to 10 years old it is operating on borrowed time as the "average" life of a gas water heater IS 8 to 10 years.

That doesn't mean it may not continue for several more years but the odds are strongly against you.

Do not waste your money on a blanket as it will do little good. Most of the heat lost from a gas water heater is through the central flue and you cannot do anything about that.

Insulate those pipes in the crawl space. That will do far more good than any water heater blanket.

Old 01-30-08, 03:34 PM
Thank for your time Furd.

The husband and I are discussing this now.

FYI.

Unit is a 40 gal Kenmore Power Miser 9.

Old 01-30-08, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
life

Hey furd
I've seen that lifetime quoted numerous times for water heaters. Just wondering, cause the house I left last year was on the original...(16 yrs) ...how much does the draining have to do with it, that you know of? I drained and flushed ours every year when the spring gutter cleaning came up. Relatively soft city water there.

Now we're in AZ, pretty hard water from deep drilled wells. Only been here 7 months, but I think the WH is probably about the same age (16 yrs)...(guessing from the Energy stickers).

comments???

Old 01-31-08, 10:05 PM
F
Average life means just that. Certainly there are SOME water heaters that will last longer and some will not even make it to eight years.

Yes, quality of water DOES make a difference as does periodic flushing. However, if your present water heater has been running on hard water for sixteen years without being periodically flushed I would advise against starting a flushing program at this late date and instead start saving for a new water heater.

Old 02-01-08, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have hard water, and I've gone through three gas-fired water heaters since I've owned my house. They seem to fail at 9 years like clockwork! The first one failed at the bottom of the tank, however, the last two failed at the cold water inlet. And yes, they all had dielectric unions installed.

Old 02-01-08, 06:01 PM
We took a look at the tankless Boshe at a local box store.

We are interested in eventually replacing the current system w/ a tankless when we HAVE to.

For now we'll just see if it has been the cold weather effecting the water heater or if it is on its last leg.

Thanks for the replies and help.

Old 03-05-08, 09:57 AM
M
Water Heater Blanket

All,
I noticed a few posts from folks about concerns over having an insulation blanket on their water heaters.

My husband and I purchased a water heater blanket about 2 years ago and experienced SUBSTANTIAL Savings by installing one. Our heater is in our attic and we went from an equal payment plan of about $130 a month to $87 a month upon instantly placing on on. I currently pay $71 for my equal payment plan gas bill and this blanket is a reflection of that savings. We have roughly cut our heating bill in half! I would encourage anyone to get one--especially for folks who have them in a cooler area like a garage or attic.

Old 03-06-08, 08:17 AM
F
Since equal payment plans are usually reviewed once per year it makes little sense to believe that your bill instantly went down after installing the blanket.

I suspect that what happened is that your yearly review came up about the same time as installing the blanket and that you had been vastly overpaying during the previous year.

A 45% reduction in fuel consumption from just installing a water heater blanket is simply not possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: