leaking from TPR valve- changed and still leaking

Old 01-30-09, 05:44 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking from TPR valve- changed and still leaking

I have a 8 year old John Wood gas hot water heater that recently started leaking from the temperature pressure relief valve. I changed out the valve and it still is leaking. I have gas hot water baseboard heat.Since the home is 8 years old and I haven't had any other changes in the plumbing, and it has a pressure regulator on the main. Any suggestions? I do have an extrol expansion tank on the cold water feed into my boiler.I will test the pressure on the drain valve and then maybe could it be the thermostat? When I adjust the temperature on the blue temperature control dial ( bear with me) for hotter water, it seems like the dial is "stripped". Sorry I can't describe it better, but it feels like it should have more resistance when turning. Feels like its free wheeling....Any help would be appreciated.
Joe

Last edited by dough041; 01-30-09 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-30-09, 03:23 PM
D
The water from the tpr isn't that hot so its not too much heat ( thermostat?). Would after 9 years in my home with only one expansion tank ( before the cold water feed before the boiler)could I need another before the hot water heater ( in the cold feed?). I don't understand if that was the case. But I did lower the incoming pressure from the city side and its still dripping? Losing my mind... Help would be appreciated!

Old 01-30-09, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
no you only need 1 but the expansion tank could be bad

Old 01-30-09, 07:29 PM
D
I really appreciate the response. I checked the one expansion tank and it read about 14 lbs and no water came out only air. It sounds hollow...any suggestions?

Old 02-03-09, 06:31 AM
D
well, I did put a tee into the cold water supply line for the water heater and installed another expansion tank. So far ( knock on wood) so good. seems like that resolved the problem. Thanks for the replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: