Replace heater or replace elements

Old 02-19-08, 07:10 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace heater or replace elements

Ok, here my situation.

bought house, house had solar hot water at some point (panels are gone but plumbing exists). the tank is 125 gallons, at least 10yrs old, in hard water area. The tank only has an element in the top of the tank. the bottom is just a plug.

there are no leaks or anything, just I know the whole 125 gals doesn't get heated because the hot water runs out before it should.
the water heater has started making a high pitched noise when the element is on.
the thermostat is tapped for dual elements.

since it's not solar anymore, should I just replace it with say about an 80gal tank (usually about 6 people at the house at any given time, plus a spa tub occasionally).

or drain and flush the tank, replace the top element (& thermostat?) and install one in the bottom?

thanks for any advice.

Old 02-19-08, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Bcreech,
I'd have to suggest you go ahead and replace it. Even with the 2 elements, that tank was designed to be preheated by solar, not purely the elements. You'd also be keeping a huge amount of water heated all the time, even with no demand. Also, the tank is probably not very well insulated. And at 10+ yrs, you'll prob be looking at replacing it pretty soon anyway.

If a new 80 gal would fit your needs, then I'd say go for it.
Dunno, maybe 2 40's might even be a better choice, if there is room? Not that well versed in how you would plumb/wire that tho.

Old 02-19-08, 10:39 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I also suggest that you replace it. Try to get an 80 gallon with low-watt density elements and (if possible) high recovery. These two things may be mutually exclusive.

The low watt density elements are a bit longer and often folded back upon themselves. They have a lower surface temperature when operating and therefore crud up with the calcium in your hard water at a slower rate.

High recovery elements use more electricity but will heat the water faster. This is usually not necessary with an 80 gallon heater but might prove useful if you use a lot of hot water in a relatively short time space.

With hard water periodic maintenance is a must. At least quarterly (every three months) you will want to blow out the sediment in the bottom of the tank. I suggest that the drain valve be replaced with a brass nipple and ball valve when you first install the tank. Use a garden hose adapter on the end of the ball valve and blast out the sediment in a short burst then wait for about a half hour and do it again. You need to use short bursts and wait because the incoming water will stir up the sediment and the waiting time is to allow it to settle near the drain again.

Old 02-20-08, 07:53 AM
B
ok,
I just installed a water softener. so that should help with a new one. I read about the heat pump water heaters. would it be worth it to look into one of those? ( i live in FL and the cooling air byproduct of it could be useful)

thanks again.

Old 02-20-08, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I read about the heat pump water heaters. would it be worth it to look into one of those? ( i live in FL and the cooling air byproduct of it could be useful)
You are kind of mixed up there. First down there in FL forget the heat pump. It dont make the hot water. Also if you dont live up by HY 10 forget it . Just use electric elements in the AC for the cold spell. What you do want there is a hot water recovery unit on the AC unit. This will kick up the seer of the unit you have and give you free hot water. When I was down in West palm beach. I got free hot water for about 8 months a year. Id turn the power to it off and with 3 people in the home.All you need there is a 50 gal water heater with 4500 elements for back up with 6 people. Now with FPL there for sure put a time delay on the AC compressor. It will save you a compressor later on.
Also no way on the solar hot water heaters. It dont work or pay. The only reason people put them in years ago was the kick back they got from the IRS.

Old 02-20-08, 08:50 AM
B
well the stuff I have read says the heat pump water heaters work. kind of expensive though.

do you have any sources of information on a recovery unit?

thanks

Old 02-20-08, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

The only hot water heatpumps that I know of are the ones for a swimming pool that is all. Yes they cost a lot to run. The one's I have use down there are not a heatpump. BUT go on a AC unit . But Yes you could say they work like a heat pump Kind of. You only put the recovery unit on the freon line of the AC condenser. So it dont cost you anything to run

Old 02-20-08, 09:52 AM
B
no I was looking at ones that are an actual water heater with a heat pump unit like this
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=12840

i do like the idea of an a/c recovery unit thouhg, since the A/C runs a lot down here in FL.

Last edited by bcreech; 02-20-08 at 01:03 PM. Reason: url

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: