Any adjustment on gas control valve

Old 02-27-08, 07:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any adjustment on gas control valve

My water heater Rheem PowerVent Model 21VP50E-1 A 50 US Gal. has too large a flame and turns off and on. When I turn off gas valve in supply line partially, the flame is reduced and the water heater works normally. I had the natural gas supply going into the water heater checked and it was 9 in wc. The gas control valve in the water heater is a Honeywell VR8204A 1219 marked: Reg 4.0 Adj, 3-6 range, 1/2 PSI in. Is it any adjustment I can make on the gas control valve to get a normal flame?

Hope someone can help.
Anders

Old 02-28-08, 03:48 PM
J
New heater or new condition??? They are preset from the factory, not sure you can or should adjust anything. But they have different orifice's for natural gas and propane.

Old 03-01-08, 09:37 PM
T
Most appliances call for incoming natural gas pressures of between 7 and 11 inches water column. You are ok there. Sounds like your valve may be bad. Been awhile since Ive seen a Rheem heater so Im not sure but most gas valves provide a fitting to check manifold/burner pressure. This should be @ 3.5 inches water column.

Old 03-02-08, 03:30 AM
H
There should be a tap under the gas control valve to check the manifold pressure (the pressure going into the burner). I recommend you have that checked. If the pressure is too high, you are over gassing the burner which can cause the symptoms you describe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: