Tank leaking out of Vac valve.

Old 02-29-08, 05:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tank leaking out of Vac valve.

I put in my tank in 1994, so it is old. Its a 40GAL Gas tank. There is water leaking from the evac valve pipe. This is the pipe that points towards the ground. Is it just the valve that is bad, or is the tank bad?

Old 02-29-08, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most likely it is just the T&P valve gone bad, but you are on borrowed time on the water heater. Replacing the T&P valve may help, but IMO, I'd go for a replacement of the water heater.

Old 02-29-08, 07:55 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I totally agree with Larry -- you're WH, at 14 years old. is on it's last leg.

But a T&P valve is $20 -- a new WH is $400. I'd replace the T&P valve and see if you can get another year or two out of it before it springs a leak someplace else. The worst you can do is waste $20!!

Old 02-29-08, 11:56 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Twenty bucks for a T&P valve? Is that the gold -plated model? I think I paid less than five for the one that I bought at big orange a few months ago.

Since Tony didn't list where he lives but did call this both a vac valve and an evac valve maybe he lives in an area that requires vacuum breaker valves to be installed on water heaters.

If he had an electric heater and good quality water I would say that 14 years may not be at death's door (I usually get about 18 years on electric water heaters) but with a gas-fired model I agree that it really is on life support.

Old 03-02-08, 09:52 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation water heater leaking.

Mine is only 4 years old. Mine is doing the same thing leaking out the copper pipe running down the side of the tank.My dad in florida sad it might be the pop of value, try it first. So I did. It didn't work. I have a pan under it and dump it every 2 days, 3/4 cup of water. It sounds like to me mine is the same problem-T&P value. Can you tell me what T& P stands and can I do it and can you explain? I'm not use to having to do this-divorced!!can you please try and help me!! 4 yrs. old- isn't bad is it? should it be doing this already???? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: