Flexible water lines?

Old 03-09-08, 07:11 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flexible water lines?

I am trying to review hot water heaters (gas) I’ll probably go with a GE from HomeDepot.

Ten years ago I soldered the copper pipe connections for the cold/hot supply lines to the heater. Today I see at home centers that they are using two newer connections. A flexible 3/4”copper pipe and a metal braded more flexible pipe, for connecting up to the hot water heater. Both have rubber washers for sealing. Any comments on these? Should I just sweat the connections the old fashion way and forget about these new lines? I did a quick search over in the plumbing section but I did not find much on this.

Old 03-09-08, 08:45 AM
Forget the braided stainless steel flexies. IF code in your area allows flex, use the corrugated copper ones. In California, code REQUIRES flex connectors on gas and water. There are other states which DO NOT ALLOW flexies, so check it out. The fact that an item is sold at HD does NOT make it legal. THey are clueless.

Old 03-09-08, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts

Could you expand on the why's a bit. Esp about the SS flex lines? Personal experience?

Just wondering as I know I've got a re-do on my WH comin sometime in the future. 16 y/o, hard water. Mine has the flex copper now, but whoever did the sweating musta owned a solder mine, and had no flux. It's glob city, no leaks tho, guess thats what counts. My Dad never woulda let it pass, I know that.

Old 03-09-08, 10:52 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If you live in an earthquake prone area your local code probably mandates the use of flexible connections along with strapping the water heater to the wall.

Old 03-12-08, 10:45 AM
Check your codes. I would never use the braided, or copper flex lines. I have seen too many leak, calcify, corrode etc. Hard pipe if you can. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: