Metal water heater stand vs. wood

Old 03-22-08, 04:50 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Metal water heater stand vs. wood

I'm replacing my 14 year old water heater with a new one this weekend. In the process, I'm thinking about replacing the old wood water heater stand with one of those metal ones you can buy at Home Depot for about $40.

The old wood one appears to be made of particle board, and was installed when the house was built in 1994. On close examination, it appears to be slightly depressed. I guess from years of the previous water heater sitting on it. Also, I got it a little bit wet when I was removing the old water heater. I'm wondering if the water will weaken it any.

So, I'm wondering, can I get 14 more years out of the wood one? Or should I take this opportunity to replace it with a brand new metal one. Are the metal ones durable, long lasting, just as stable, etc?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-08, 05:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Change it. The metal ones are just fine, since they are designed, engineered and produced to do that particular job. Not to say a wooden one wouldn't work, but not of particle board.

Old 03-23-08, 02:37 AM
H
If a particle board stand got wet you've best off replacing it. After all, you already replaced the expensive part. Why not do it right by replacing the stand.

Old 03-24-08, 08:56 PM
For $40 it is a no-brainer! Those termites will just have to find another home. I personally prefer concrete blocks or patio bricks. They are cheaper and won't rust, won't get rotten even when wet, and best of all-----termites have a hell of a time chewing through concrete!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: