Help draining/anode rod inspection

Old 03-23-08, 04:09 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help draining/anode rod inspection

I have an AO Smith water heater model FSG 50 248. There are 3 connections on the top of the water heater -- one on the left for hot water outlet, one in the middle front for the relief valve, and one on the right for cold water inlet. I was trying to inspect the anode rod, which I was told was built into the hot water outlet connection. So after I turned off the gas and closed the cold water inlet valve, I started draining water through the faucet and the drain at the bottom of the heater. This water immediately slowed to a trickle, and I heard and felt what appeared to be cold water still making its way into the water heater through the valve. This valve also has a bit of crust on the bottom of it, so I have a feeling that the valve is no longer any good for shutting off the water. Can you please let me know:
1) Is this trickle of water normal, or is something else going on that I'm missing?
2) Do I have to replace this valve (which will probably require a plumber unless I can find how to shut off the water altogether)?
3) Once I get there, does anyone have a picture which shows what the combination hot water outlet/anode rod looks like and how to remove the rod if it needs replacing?

Thanks so much for the help!!!
Greg

Old 03-23-08, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Greg: welcome to the forums! How old is the water heater? For the most part, anode rods should last a pretty long time depending on your water properties. If it is approaching 9 years or so, it may be reaching the end of its proposed life expectancy. So replacing the water heater may be an option, and you won't have to mess with the drain, anode rod, etc.

Old 03-27-08, 07:38 PM
G
More info

Thanks for the welcome! My water heater isn't that old (about 6 years). With our water softener installed, the anode rod tends to be used up rather quickly. It makes no sense for me to replace the entire water heater when I can replace the anode rod for a very small fraction of the cost, thereby making the water heater last for years to come. Any insight to my questions? Thanks again!

Old 03-28-08, 03:58 AM
J
If the water does not shut off completely the washer in the valve is likely bad. Having a trickle of water makes it impossible to solder/unsolder. Repair the valve or replace it with a full throat ball type valve. That will work the next time you need it. If your soldering skills are not so good, use a valve with compression fittings. They work better when there is still a drip or trickle of water.

There is a large nut on the top of the heater, this is the anode. Usually VERY tight, an impact wrench works best. But don't drain the water out, just drain off the pressure. That weight helps hold the heater down when you try to loosen the nut.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: