What are these "Stub" copper pieces?

Old 03-27-08, 08:46 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
What are these "Stub" copper pieces?

My 12 years old 60 gallons electric hot water tank developed a leak at the bottom and I bought a new one of similar size to replace it. All seems straight forward but there is one odd thing on the copper piping connections which I have never seen before.

On the cold and hot water horizontal connections to the heater (each one of them is about 12 long), there is a 1 long piece of copper pipe which is tack soldered to the side of each pipe. Both ends of this 1 long piece are open. It seems like they were pieces of scrap pipe left over and they were tack soldered to the side of the horizontal pipes for reasons which I dont know.

I have to re arrange the piping connections to the new heater to allow for a shut off valve on the cold water inlet plus install unions on both cold & hot water lines for future use but I dont know if I should re install these stub pieces.

Anyone knows what they are for and if they are necessary? Thank you

Old 03-27-08, 03:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This does not sound like a standard water heater, but one designed as storage for a boiler coil. A standard heater will have no horizontal connections, and none 1/2". There should only be two 3/4 connections at the top and the T&P valve on the side or top, and the drain valve at the bottom.

Old 03-27-08, 03:30 PM
Yes I do have the two 3/4" connections at the top including the T&P valve. Each 3/4" connection has a brass adapter to 1/2" copper pipe. The horizontal pieces of copper pipe along with some more turns are required to connect the HW tank to the pipes hiden inside the walls.

Old 03-27-08, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Could you post a couple of pix of what you have on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post? Interesting.

Old 03-27-08, 05:37 PM
Sorry but I dont have a digital camera.

Old 03-30-08, 12:58 PM
Was able to fix the webcam on wife's laptop and took these 3photos:

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/l...afilter=images

Ofcource the old piping is out now and the new heater is installed but kept one piece of the old piping because I'm curious to find out what these stubs were for.

Thanks

Old 03-31-08, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sure looks like scrap.

Ken

Old 04-01-08, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Since they are not "tees", I could only surmise they are "heat sink" handles to hold the pipes while they are being soldered. Very odd to say the least.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: