HELP! NO Hot Water/ Water coming out of faucets.

Old 03-29-08, 03:52 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP! NO Hot Water/ Water coming out of faucets.

Last night I took a hot bath and I had no problems. This morning I turned on the hot water faucet and the water trickled out slowly until no more. It was like that at each faucet in the house and the washing machine. It was only the hot water. The cold water was and is fine and so is the pressure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 03-29-08, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do you have a ball valve on the exit pipe from your water heater? How old is your water heater? When was the last time the water heater was flushed?

Old 03-29-08, 05:13 PM
M
Thanks for responding, Chandler.

It's a gas hot water heater. I'm not sure what a ball valve is however, I will check. The hot water heater is 10 years old. I have lived here for eight years and know for a fact it hasn't been emptied. In fact, I didn't know you're suppose to empty it.

Old 03-29-08, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
With a water heater of that age and minimal maintenance, you could be experiencing a clog on the outlet of the heater. Often sand, mud and calcification can build up and prevent flow of hot water. The ball valve is usually located above the water heater and is usually on the cold water side. Shutting it off will shut off hot water leaving the heater. If you should choose to replace the water heater, you may also want to conider installing a whole house filter system. I recommend placing two of them in tandem and using 5 micron filters in the first one, and 2 micron carbon filters in the second one. This will help keep the larger particles from entering the water system beyond the filter. How do you feel about draining the water heater? Up to it? Let us know and we'll guide you through it.

Old 03-30-08, 11:21 AM
M
Good afternoon.

Man, you have no idea what a PAIN in the butt it is to heat water on the stove to fill your bathtub. Thank God, I am the only person that lives in this house.

I work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m and then go to UPS in the evening and unload trailers by hand, I might add. I can't afford to buy a new hot water heater so I am ready to drain. Will you PLEASE walk me through it?

Here is the model no. G1H4040T3NV US Craftmaster Water Heater Company. Uuh, it looks like my hot water heater was born in 1992. I still want to drain it to see if it is useable until I can buy one.

Thank you for your time and help.

Old 03-30-08, 03:07 PM
J
You might take a look at this link from the DIY Network:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pl_wat...2277696,00.htm

Also from the Improvenet: http://www.improvenet.com/adviceandr...terheater.html

I had a similar thing happen on a sunday AM recently. Nothing from the hot water side at all but had plenty of cold water. I started by turning off the electric, running a hose outside. and starting to drain the water heater. I then (after turning off the cold water inlet) disconnected both the cold inlet and the hot water exit. I pulled the dip tube which is in the cold water inlet side. It was plugged with a mineral deposit about a foot long.

I pushed out the deposit with a dowel rod that I had and put everything back together. I used some teflon tape at all the joints to minimize the chance of leaks. After turning everything back on and refilling the system it has worked like a charm ever since. I do plan on doing a little more preventive maintenance as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

Your problem may be totally different but I thought I should at least make you aware of another possibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: