Gas vs.Electric

Old 03-30-08, 09:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas vs.Electric

Seems like Gas water heaters are twice the cost of electric. Do electric cost more to run?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 10:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yes, depending on your area. Where I am located, we use electric. Our rates are reasonably low, and propane is our only other option, and I'd rather not get into a political discussion of high gas prices, even propane.

Old 03-30-08, 03:54 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recently installed an electric water heater to replace tankless coil in an oil fired boiler. 50 gallon AO Smith, 2 adults and one teen age daughter. After 3 months never had a shortage of hot water and my electric bill increased by about $35. At almost $4 a gallon for oil, I won't miss using about 100 gallons of oil to heat the hot water from June to Sept.
I have propane for cookung, but the cost estimate for propane use from my supplier estimated the cost of double the electric. Besides the electric heater is cheap and won't explode from fumes.

Old 04-01-08, 02:33 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
A gas water heater has much higher "standby losses" than does an electric water heater. This is because of the constantly burning pilot light and wide-open central flue.

Electric water heaters have superior insulative qualities than do gas water heaters because they have no flue nor do they use energy except when actually heating the water. Electric water heaters are about 98% (or better) efficiency in converting the energy input to energy output. By comparison, most gas water heaters are in the low 60% to low 70% range.

Of course energy efficiency is not the whole picture and generally speaking natural gas is cheaper than electricity on a usable BTU per BTU basis.

Electric water heaters will generally have a longer life than will a comparable gas water heater assuming the same water quality.

A gas water heater will heat the cold water three to five times faster than will the electric water heater. Sometimes a much smaller gas water heater will fulfill the demands of a household compared to the electric water heater.