Choosing Solar Hot Water Heaters

Old 04-08-08, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Choosing Solar Hot Water Heaters

I have been kicking the idea around about buying and installing a solar hot water heater. Problem is there are a bunch to chose from and I'm not sure which one to buyas far as brand. Living in the southeast I know i"m going to need one that can stand some freezing temperatures. If there are some out there that have already installed one I would like to know what you have and how it performs. Going totally solar is a little rich for my wallet and the ROI would be many years, I think it may not be worth the investment until the solar panels are cheaper, but enough rambling on. thanks gk

Old 04-12-08, 09:43 AM
M
Join the club

Yea, store bought solar is expensive. The payback is really never. So DIY, I am. Most supplies are common to other trades. Boilers, greenhouses and bodywork come to mind. You'll save a bundle if its used for other than solar. It will involve some homework. Every situation is different. A $1000 collector has about $100 worth of materials in it so it's DIYable.

Old 04-15-08, 06:42 PM
S
I don't know how far you wish to go, but the Viessmann VitaSol looks like a great system. Employing the glass tube array, a circulating pump, and heat exchange tank. The system can also be backed-up by Viessmanns electric or gas mini-wall boilers.
Without the boiler, you'll be looking at about $3'000 or thereabout, installed.

I plan on utilizing the VitaSol on a home addition this summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: