5 yr old a.o smith fpsh/50/260 powershot problem

Old 04-12-08, 08:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5 yr old a.o smith fpsh/50/260 powershot problem

burner wont stay lit comes on for a few seconds then cuts out cycles 3-4 or times the locks out had gas replaced and the problems are back i have reset it many time and it catches once in a while and blinks six times after lockout i have seen several post on a.o smith water heaters of this model so maybe somebody has answers thanks scott

Old 04-16-08, 07:05 AM
H
Hello, I had the same problem. Unplug your heater first! Then Remove the metal cover at the bottom so you can have access to the burner plate and sensor. Reach back with a small rag and clean the sensor and any debris (usually dust, bugs or rust) on the burner plate. After doing this mine worked fine for awhile, but I'm currently having other issues. It may be time to get another water heater.

Old 01-10-10, 01:06 PM
M
Old 07-29-11, 06:59 AM
D
I have the same problem with the A O Smith Model FPSH 40 251 ... I am a mechanical contractor and have seen this problem before, but not on this magnitude. Last night we had a storm. I found that we had no hot water and the heater was locked out, ( 6 flashes). I shut off the rocker switch and the burner lit and went out 4 times then locked out again. I was running late, so I settled for a cold shower! Looking in the trade listings this morning, I see that only one company was listed in this are for A.O.Smith. I think I will clean the sensor when I get home; and budget for a replacement of another brand. I would recomend either Lochivar, or State. How ever, be warned that there are only a handful of manufacturers in this country. They just put differant labels and paint on them!!!!

Old 07-29-11, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
State is AO smith...LOL

Anyway 6 flashes sound like you have the old smart valve. they are discontinued. The flame sensor on that water heater is a different animal. It has a machine gun looking barrel around the igniter.

The replacements come in two versions straight and curved. I found we could only get straight units for awhile and even when the curved ones came in they needed to be bent/modified. This way they are positioned into the flame more.

I would say that water heater is old if you have the smart valve, and i would replace.

AO smith makes the best heaters IMO.

Mike NJ

Old 08-08-11, 04:54 PM
R
what is lock out when it wont reset, mine wont reset i changed the fv sensor and cleaned the burner still wont start i have a electic start oa smith model gpvh 50-100

Old 08-08-11, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Do you have a intellivent gas valve? Are two lights on vac and C?

Let me know.

Mike NJ

Old 08-12-11, 08:09 AM
F
A O Smith Powershot Water Heater - No hot water after electric was out for a day

Hi -
I have a AO Smith Powershot Water heater I dont know the model sorry - The gas flame is lit and working and the blower is as well though the flap is open and I am not sure if it was before - We dont have hot water its luke warm at best.

Any suggestions on a fix other than a new one or costly repair service?

thanks for your help

Dan

Old 08-12-11, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
What does the gas valve look like? Describe any lights on it.

What is the first 5 digits of the serial #.

May be the dip tube or some mechanical issue with the t stat.

Mike NJ

Old 05-18-13, 04:59 AM
J
AO Smith FPSH 50-260

My thanks. These posts saved my backside on a cold Sat morning. I have an FPSH 50-260 10 years old. Would not stay lit. Cleaned plate as per posting. Now wife and daughter can take hot shower.

Question: Is it time to replace this unit? If so recommeded brands. And is the recirculator worth the extra money or was I just upsold by the builder.

Thanks

Old 05-18-13, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Question: Is it time to replace this unit?
I only replace mine when they leak.... If yours is not in a place that will cause damage then just keep maintaining it.

And is the recirculator worth the extra money or was I just upsold by the builder.
If the baths are far away, having a pump installed at the time of build is a plus in my book. Cant beat it. Instant hot water.

Try turning your pump off and the valve that isolates it. Then post back and tell me if you like the pump or not...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: