Issues With 8 year old A.O.Smith FPSH 50 Gas Water Heater

Old 04-16-08, 07:46 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Issues With 8 year old A.O.Smith FPSH 50 Gas Water Heater

My water heater is heating my water fine but is constantly draining water out of the copper drainage tube mounted on the right side of the heater and the motor is staying on continuously. Please help!! It is getting old unpluging the unit and pluging it back in when hot water is needed. Plus I'm sure my water, gas and electric bills are going to be higher than normal.

Note: I unplug it so the motor will not stay running continuously, but water still drains out of the pipe after unpluging. The copper drainage tube has a release valve at the top, Could the seal be damaged? Does it have a replaceable seal in it? THANKS, John

Old 04-16-08, 12:21 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Since you mentioned a motor I assume this is a gas-fired water heater that vents out a side wall, correct?

That "copper drainage tube" is the drain piping from the Temperature and Pressure (T&P) valve. That is a safety device and is actuated if the temperature exceeds 210 degrees F. or the pressure exceeds 150 psi.

No, the T&P valve is not repairable although it is easy to replace and will cost in the neighborhood of five to ten dollars at a big box home center.

As for the "motor" issue...I can't help you as I know nothing about these water heaters.

Old 04-16-08, 03:07 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
THANKS for your reply. Yes it is vented to the outside wall. Would you know what is causing the pressure to build up for it to constantly drain water? The blower motor is what is staying on. Do you think it may be the pressure switch on the blower motor that has gone bad causing all my problems? THANKS!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: