Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Water leaking thru pressure relief valve, tried two different valves, any ideas?

Water leaking thru pressure relief valve, tried two different valves, any ideas?

Old 04-17-08, 06:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Have a 2year old hot water tank that is leaking thru the pressure relief valve. I replaced the original pressure relief valve and worked for about a month and now I have the same condition. So at this point I don't think the original TPC valve was bad. I believe something is wrong with the hot water tank. Can anyone give me any troubleshooting advice on this problem. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-08, 04:56 PM
COnsider the possibility the your PRESSURE and Temp relief valve is doing just what it is supposed to do...open it the PRESSURE is too high. You can get a guage for $8 and connect it to a hose bibb or to a laundry tap. Your household pressure should be under 80 psi. If it is higher continously, but drops when you open a tap, then builds back up slowly....your building pressure regulator valve is bad.

If pressure seems "normal" but when the water heater turns on, pressure builds up....then you need a thermal expansion tank. Check your pressures and let us know what you find.

Old 04-17-08, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree. I had a customer with the same symptoms this past week. He kept replacing the T&P valve, but neglected to solve the problem. Expansion tank was the ticket. 20 minute installation. Luckily he had cpvc. Mounted it between two studs on a perlin and strapped it in, used a brass ball valve coming out of the bottom in case he ever had to do maintenance on it.

Old 05-01-08, 04:31 PM
My water heater is 14 years old. Several months ago, its pressure/temp relief valve leaked badly. So I replaced it, and then checked it out.

It appears the paraffin-like substance in the tube overheated and expanded so that it opened the valve. Problem is, when that happens, the valve never closes, because when the substance cools, it hardens and holds the valve open.

And now, my replacement valve is doing the same thing.

So I suspect the thermostat is sticking and possibly overheating the water. It sure seems like the problem to me anyway.

I really don't think it is over-pressure, since that is controlled only by the metal spring in the valve, and as soon as the pressure is released, the spring's pressure can close the valve.

So if it is overheating, how much of the thermostat system do I need to replace?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 05-04-08, 11:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
14 years....you are working on borrowed time. It may be time to go ahead and replace the water heater. The all new components will make your life easier.

Old 05-09-08, 03:23 AM
Good Morning Steve C

Read chandlers post about expansion tanks. This may also be the problem. Especially if a check valve has recently been installed on the water line someplace.