will it bust or not

Old 04-19-08, 04:55 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
will it bust or not

How is everyone doing? I have a utility room that has a water heater, furnace, and my sump pump. On my water heater just above the shut off valve on the hot side I found a very small leak under the coupling fitting. The leak is not pouring out but I definitely feel some moisture there. It is pretty corroded around there. I am looking to get estimates on replacing my furnace, condenser, and water heater next week. My question is, could this pipe eventually bust where I will have gushing water or will it pretty much stay the way it is for a couple of weeks until I hire a contractor to do the work? by the way, when the water heater heats the pipe the small leak stops, it is only when the pipe is cool that I feel the moisture. Any information on this matter would be great. Thanks.

Old 04-20-08, 11:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I can't answer with certainty, but the pipe will probably be ok for a couple of weeks. The reason it leaks when it is cool, is the metal contracts and opens the gap in the fitting. when it heats up, it expands and closes it. Just keep an eye on it daily to make sure the drip doesn't increase until you get it fixed permanently.

Old 04-21-08, 02:53 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: