Water Heater Question

Old 04-21-08, 01:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Question

I need to replace the lower heating element on my electric water heater. Is it possible to replace the element without draining the unit? I will make sure the water in it is cold. Is this possible?

Old 04-22-08, 06:36 AM
J
It's possible. But please don't do it.

Some really experienced plumbers do it that way to save time. But first power must be turned off, then all valves should be closed. That includes the water supply valve to the heater and all faucets in the system. A hot water faucet is opened briefly to relieve the pressure and then closed so air cannot enter the system. This creates a partial vacuum when the element is removed. Sort of like a straw full of water with your finger closing the top end.

If done quickly and correctly, a skilled plumber will only loose about one or two cups of water. If anything goes wrong, you will end up with a flood. Again, please DON'T DO IT.

Old 04-22-08, 03:28 PM
J
Unless you are faster than Superman, you will have a flood on your hands. Don't even consider it. Drain the tank to below the element after shutting off the power.

Old 04-24-08, 08:54 AM
S
The reason I asked was because the draining faucet on the bottom of the water heater was plugged with sediment. Here is what I did.
1. Shut off breaker to water heater.

2. Took a shower till the water became cold. Shut off main
water valve.
3. Removed element.
4. Sucked water as it left the water heater with 5 gal. wet
vac.
5. Used a make-shift plug to stop water flow after 5 gals. of
water was sucked out.
6. Repeated steps 4 and 5 till water heater was empty.
7. Jury rigged a smaller hose to wet vac so I could suck
out remaining sediment on bottom of water heater.
8. Installed new element. Filled tank. Flipped breaker to
ON.
9. Drained 5 gals. of water out of draining faucet.
10. Patted myself on the back for slaying another DIY dragon.
11. Sucked up 1 gal. of spilled water off the floor.

I couldnt think of another way to drain the water heater. I was very happy that I only spilled about a gallon of water of the 50 gallons that I had to drain. I dont have a floor drain either so I just rolled the wet vac tank over to the shower and dumped it in.

Would you have done anything different?

Old 04-24-08, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

After the power was off ,turn the cold water off. I think Id have pulled the bottom drain valve off and clean it out and the out let . So the water would come out. Then later on can drain the tank now and then so its clean it. Might be the bottom of the tank filled up with crud and that is what took out that bottom element. Some times it helps to turn the power off to the tank . Then open the drain valve and let it run some before you turn off the cold water to the tank . Then open a hot water valve some place in the home and let the tank drain down through a hose on the drain valve.

Old 04-24-08, 03:34 PM
J
Steve--not sure i agree with the way you went about it, but is seems to have worked for you, that is the important part. A coat hanger up the drain valve is usually good enough to get things flowing. May take a few tries, but it has always worked for me. With what you describe, I would start saving for a new heater. Shouldn't be too long downstream.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: