rheem hot water heater

Old 04-24-08, 07:40 PM
C
cf1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rheem hot water heater

its about 3 years old, has an electronic lighter, i cant get it to light, is there away to get the access door off to light the pilot with a match? thru the litle window i see no spark around the pilot..could the piezo striker be bad, where to buy one? thanks

Old 04-28-08, 07:14 AM
Have you lit the pilot before? Did you remember to turn the gas knob to pilot and depress the button while trying to light it?
If you did that correctly the read on.

Down at the bottom of the water heater is an access panel to the burner and pilot area. You can try to manually light the water heater just like an older style. but before you try to light it, hit the piezo a few times and see if you can see a spark.
If no spark, you may want to replace the igniter, If there is spark, why no pilot? Are you out of gas? Did someone accidentally turn off the gas? Or is there a problem with the heater? Is this a power vented water heater?

What caused the pilot to go out?

If the flame sensor (thermocouple) is bad it won't let the pilot stay lit or let the gas valve open.

Some new heaters have sensors for hi temp, flame roll out, and even fume sniffers. If that is the case it could be one of those not working properly.

Try to relight it first. If it lights and fires up just change the piezo. and obviously if it doesn't light let us know for more in depth help or call you plumber or service tech for professional assistance.

Good Luck

Old 04-28-08, 10:39 AM
C
cf1
Originally Posted by plumbingods
Have you lit the pilot before? Did you remember to turn the gas knob to pilot and depress the button while trying to light it?
If you did that correctly the read on.

Down at the bottom of the water heater is an access panel to the burner and pilot area. You can try to manually light the water heater just like an older style. but before you try to light it, hit the piezo a few times and see if you can see a spark.
If no spark, you may want to replace the igniter, If there is spark, why no pilot? Are you out of gas? Did someone accidentally turn off the gas? Or is there a problem with the heater? Is this a power vented water heater?

What caused the pilot to go out?

If the flame sensor (thermocouple) is bad it won't let the pilot stay lit or let the gas valve open.

Some new heaters have sensors for hi temp, flame roll out, and even fume sniffers. If that is the case it could be one of those not working properly.

Try to relight it first. If it lights and fires up just change the piezo. and obviously if it doesn't light let us know for more in depth help or call you plumber or service tech for professional assistance.

Good Luck
thanks for the reply, i finaly got it to light, i think this piezo is bad, this is a sealed unit, not like the old heaters, what i read is if you remove the acccess door you need to replace the gasket.. we had some bad wind and it must have blown out the pilot. it is a natural gas heater with a vent.. my question is can i replace the piezo with out taking the access door off? thanks

Old 04-28-08, 12:33 PM
I am pretty sure you can. Most of the ones I have seen are just clipped to the gas valve and I think the wire just plugs into the bottom. If it doesn't unplug, it must unplug from the electrode. Then you will have to open the access panel to get to it. You should also make sure it is the piezo by taking the wire end and put it close to some grounded metal (tank,Pipe,etc) and see if you get a good spark. If there is a good spark it is possible that the electrode or wire is the problem and may be either dirty, mis-aligned, or broken.
Good luck, Mark

Old 04-28-08, 07:53 PM
C
cf1
Originally Posted by plumbingods
I am pretty sure you can. Most of the ones I have seen are just clipped to the gas valve and I think the wire just plugs into the bottom. If it doesn't unplug, it must unplug from the electrode. Then you will have to open the access panel to get to it. You should also make sure it is the piezo by taking the wire end and put it close to some grounded metal (tank,Pipe,etc) and see if you get a good spark. If there is a good spark it is possible that the electrode or wire is the problem and may be either dirty, mis-aligned, or broken.
Good luck, Mark
thanks mark for the info.. looks like the piezo wire is visable, so all i have to do is unplug it.. can i get the piezo at a hardware store,or home depot.. thanks again ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: