Rheem EverClean - has squirrel inside

Old 04-28-08, 03:38 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rheem EverClean - has squirrel inside

My new Rheem Everclean 50Gal. HW Heater sounds like there is a little squirrel inside.....jumping around and tapping a pipe with a little hammer. It isn't real loud but certainly noticeable and not all the time...typically after a lot of hot water use.

Is this water hammer? I've always had electric heaters but never heard on make noise like this (or any other noise).

Any feedback..Thanks, FF

Old 04-28-08, 04:34 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Are you sure what you are hearing isn't the sound of water droplets hitting a hot surface and boiling away?

No, you are not hearing water hammer. Water hammer is when water is picked up by steam and thrown against a turn in the piping. It causes a loud banging and makes the piping shake. Scary as heck if you don't know what is happening and it CAN rupture piping.

The term water hammer is also used to describe when a solid column of water is flowing through a pipe and then a valve is suddenly closed causing the flowing water to ram into the valve. This is more common with electrically-actuated valves as are used in dish and clothes washers.

Old 04-29-08, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Somewhat older units used a ball-check type heat trap nipple, and they are known to make a clicking noise. If that is it, Rheem will probably send you different nipples for free,.

Old 04-30-08, 08:19 AM
Hello,

I think I know what the problem could be, read on...

This is from Rheem's web site.

TECHNICAL SERVICE DEPARTMENT
Technical Service Bulletin
1-800-432-8373
Standing Pilot Gas Water Heater Maintenance
Technical Competence, Product Confidence
Page 2 of 2
1401.doc
F. A water heater's tank can act as a settling basin for solids suspended in the water. It is, therefore, not
uncommon for hard water deposits to accumulate in the bottom of the tank. Deposits should not be allowed to
accumulate as this can affect the service life of the water heater. It is suggested that a few quarts of water be
drained from the water heater's tank every month. If sufficient hard water deposits accumulate,
a rumbling or pounding sound can occur. There is no danger involved and the efficiency of the water heater is not seriously
affected, but the noise can be annoying. Your plumbing contractor should be contacted to clean the tank of
these deposits.

Old 04-30-08, 07:41 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. We just moved into this house. the water heater is less than a month old. We have a well with a filter system and I check the filter often. I'll check what you guys have mentioned this weekend. I cannot imagine there is that much sediment already otherwise the filter would be clogged.

Thanks again. FF

Old 05-01-08, 04:36 PM
Take a look at this page I just stumbled upon

RESIDENTIAL GAS AND ELECTRIC WATER HEATER
SERVICE HANDBOOK
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
BULLETIN 14
ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE
SYMPTOMS
“Crackling”, “gurgling”, or “popping” noises from new water heaters (installed less than
six months).

CAUSE
In a few isolated parts of the United States where the water supply has a relatively high pH (8+),
water conditions will react with the aluminum anode to form excessive amounts of aluminum
hydroxide on the anode and in the bottom of the tank. Aluminum hydroxide looks like “jelly
beads” or a green, blue or gray gel like substance in the heater drain or at faucet aerators.
THE FIX
This procedure should only be performed by someone with abilities equal to a licensed
tradesman. Aluminum hydroxide can be removed by using one of the methods outlined.
If tank is new with no lime build-up to any degree:
1 Turn off the heater.
2 Remove the anode.
3 Flush the tank thoroughly with water.
4 Replace the aluminum anode (identifiable by smooth surface on plug) with magnesium
anode (identifiable by weld bead on plug).
If the tank is new with lime build-up to any degree:
1 Turn off the heater.
2 Drain the heater.
3 Remove the anode.
4 Add UN-LIME to the tank.
20-40 gallon models (use 3 gallons of UN-LIME)
41-65 gallon models (use 5 gallons of UN-LIME)
66-100 gallon models (use 7 gallons of UN-LIME)
(On electric models, be certain the lower element is immersed in solution.)
5 Heat the UN-LIME to a temperature between 140°F to 160°F.
• GAS - Heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
• ELECTRIC - Power off and remove the yellow wire from terminal 2 on the upper thermostat.
Move the red wire from terminal 4 of the upper thermostat to terminal 2 of the upper
thermostat. This allows operation of the lower element only. Restore power to the heater.
Be certain that only the lower element is operating. Heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
6 Shut off the water heater.
7 Allow the heated UN-LIME to stand for up to 12 minutes.
8 Drain and flush the tank. Caution: UN-LIME will still be hot.
9 Replace the original aluminum anode with a magnesium anode.
10 Fill the system with water.
11 On electric models, return the wiring to its original configuration.
12 Turn heater fuel “ON”.
NOTE
Since aluminum hydroxide is a product of a chemical reaction dependent on the water condition,
any treatment is not considered warranty related.
A.O. Smith Water Products Company Technical Training Department

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-08, 04:42 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plumbingods
There is no danger involved and the efficiency of the water heater is not seriously
affected, but the noise can be annoying..
actually, it can affect the efficiency of the water heater. If enough sediment builds up, it will totally cover the element which will cause it to burn out prematurely. Even before it burns out, the fact it is covered by sediment, it is not going to heat the water very well.

Old 05-01-08, 05:13 PM
Hey nap !!!

let me explain...

That post that you are taking that from is copied directly from Rheem's technical service books on line. I did make a mistake and grabbed the one from gas not electric water heaters, but the popping noises come from the reasons.

But if you look further I found a great trouble shooting guide from A O Smith. This one explains why one would get these noises from a NEW water heater, and hot to fix the problem. It is a different manufacturer but that won't matter for this problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: