Temperature Not Controled

Old 05-15-08, 10:40 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Temperature Not Controled

Hello. I just purchased a home and recently moved in.
My gas water heater is brand new, but has a problem.
The water in my shower is barely warm enough to keep myself warm, and I can't get cold water at my kitchen faucet. At both locations, turning the faucets doesn't change the water temperature. I raised the temperature setting of the water heater, but the shower is still not hot enough.
On the other hand, the faucets in my bathrooms seem to be working good.

Could someone please tell me what's wrong?

Old 05-16-08, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
It may not be the water heater. Turn it back down to a normal setting. Take the escutcheon off the shower/tub control and adjust the temperature balance screw on the hot side. With the slot pointing horizontally, you are getting full flow, and conversely with it vertical, the hot water is off. What type kitchen faucet do you have, single valve, double valve, Delta, Moen, Price Pfister, etc.?

Old 05-16-08, 06:21 AM
Good morning

Curiosity question, How old is the house?

I am willing to bet you need to adjust the temperature limit stop on the tub/shower valve, if this is a single handle valve.

If this house is fairly new, the max valve temp should have been set to no more than 120* when the hot water is up to max temp due to plumbing code and SAFETY so nobody gets burned or scalded.
Most faucets are pretty easy to adjust, with either a plastic ring or a screw after removing the faucet handle. If you can give us the manufacturer and maybe the model, I can help describe the proper way to adjust the valve.
Be careful not to adjust too hot especially if you have children, elderly, or handicapped using the shower as you are can be held liable if someone gets scalded. Before adjusting the temp in the shower, try to check the temp elsewhere to see if the water heater temp is set too low. I doubt this is the problem but worth checking.

There is no need to remove the escutcheon plate or adjust any "temperature balance screw" as there is none there. Those little valves under the escutcheon plate are internal stops for servicing the faucet if it leaks.

As far as the kitchen sink is concerned it sounds like you either have a valve shut off under the sink or in the basement or the faucet is in need of repair.

Old 05-16-08, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
New house ( I assume by the OP), I would think there would be a balancing valve. How did you rule that out?

Old 05-16-08, 02:23 PM
There is only a hot water problem on the tub/shower. Hot works fine everyplace else. Kitchen sink is a cold water problem.
Also it is a new house to them, but maybe not a brand new house, hence the question, how old is the house

Old 05-16-08, 03:10 PM
I need to add as I just learned there are some valves that use temperature balance screws behind the escutcheon plate to adjust the temp. limit. In 25 yrs I have never came across one but was just informed of a brand that uses this method.

Old 05-17-08, 12:23 AM
H
Thank you all, for giving me advice! I really appreciate it.
My house was built in 1989, but all the plumbings have been updated a few months ago. The faucet for my shower is Pioneer Deco Series, either #990611BN or #990612BN. The faucet for my kitchen is Franke but I couldn't find my model on their website. The closest type is FF-3000 Series, but with stream only (with side spray).

OK I'll take a look closely tomorrow and see what I can do based on your advice. I'll come back tomorrow!

Old 05-17-08, 04:02 AM
OK, I found your faucet.

I have been told, and by looking at the picture I would agree, that these faucets are actually made by Delta.

The difference between the 990611BN and the 990612BN is what type of inlet (soldered or threaded) connections it has, so for the purpose of this answer it doesn't matter which one it is. To understand better what I am going to explain go to this page and look at the picture.

http://www.pioneerind.com/Parts%20Br...wn%20Sheet.pdf

From what I see in the picture all you will need to do is

Remove handle "I"
Adjust allen type screw (probably brass on right hand side) on cartridge "C"

Place handle back into position but do not tighten yet. Just test the valve to see if you adjusted it enough or the correct direction. Once adjusted to satisfaction place handle and tighten back on.

The two items one on each side of the valve marked "J" are there just to shut off the valve for repairs.

The Item "E" is the pressure balance spool used to control the water pressure if, for example, someone flushes the toilet, you will not have a change in temperature, just a slight pressure change so nobody gets scalded.

If the faucet ever leaks the only parts you may need to replace are the cartridge "C" or the seats and springs "B".

I hope this helps.

Old 05-17-08, 05:55 PM
H
Thanks a lot!

I was able to increase the temperature by adjusting the screw in C, but I still can't control the temperature with the handle. The temperature just stays the same...what to do now...?

Old 05-17-08, 06:43 PM
I can only think of a couple things right now, and one would not make much sense.

The one that is a possibility but I highly doubt is the answer is that the faucet is not piped correctly, Are you getting any cold water?

The other thing that comes to mind is the balancing spool (E) is not working properly. What this does is if it senses a change in pressure (someone flushes a toilet for example), the spool moves back and forth to keep you from getting scalded. If it was jammed because it is dirty from age or something (a piece of solder, wood chip etc) has jammed it causing the spool not to move and keeping the temp constant. I hope this makes any sense to you.

I would pull out the balancing spool. When you shake it back and forth there is a piece inside it that should move, If it does not the spool is jammed.

Old 05-17-08, 09:45 PM
H
Sometimes I get colder water first and gets warmer, and stay there.
I couldn't get the balancing spool..it was too tight to open. I guess I have to give up for today. I'll come back with the result when I open it successfully.

Old 06-01-08, 10:55 AM
H
Hello again, I'm back with the same issue.

I ended up calling up a plumber, and he said I won't be able to control the temperature and that's how it's supposed to be. He said that this is a safety feature of some sort so that children can get burned with hot water for example. He said all I could do is to change the whole valve, which means to break down the wall etc...This means that whenever you want to change the temperature you'd have to open up the whole thing and adjust the screws.

So I told him about the balancing spool and showed him where its located, he opened it up, and there was nothing there. (It was just a plug) He then opened up the same location for my other shower and found a balancing spool. And now he was telling me that I can buy the same balancing spool and that should control the temperature.

The whole safety feature thing just doesn't make sense to me because who would want a shower with just one temperature? Has anyone heard of such thing?

Old 06-01-08, 11:43 AM
Let me explain the safety feature a little better.

The balancing spool is there to sense a pressure change in the water. For example, if you are in the shower and someone flushes the toilet, years ago you could have gotten burned because the toilet robbed the shower valve of cold water. I am sure this happened to most everyone at some point in their lives. The balancing spool stops this from happening. It stabilizes the pressure so the temp stays the same. The pressure will fluctuate during this time. If the spool is frozen or defective it will not move freely and keep everything in check or stop some water flow.

The anti-scald feature of the faucet is to set the highest maximum temperature allowed through that faucet to prevent scalding. This is especially important in children and elderly. Plumbing code for a shower valve is 120* max.

If you were to adjust it to a higher temp, you would be liable should someone get hurt.

Your problem sounds like something is wrong with the spool, or lack of one. How old was the plumber? He didn't seem to knowledgeable to me.

Old 06-02-08, 10:30 PM
H
Thank you for your explanation. Your description of "safety feature" is very reasonable, I would use that if I had a kid. But my plumber's "safety feature" of just one set temperature is just too unbelievable.

Actually there was nothing where the balance spool was supposed to be. Empty. So I'm guessing that I just have to purchase the right balancing spool and place it in there?

The plumber looked around 50s. He said he has never seen this type of faucet, and I had to show him where the balance spool would be, so probably he didn't know what he was talking about....mmm, I want to get my money back!

Old 06-03-08, 04:06 AM
If it is a new faucet, as stated earlier, I would be looking into it being a defective faucet as there is no balancing spool to start. This faucet carries a 10 warranty to the original purchaser. Maybe they were already having a problem and that is why the balancing spool is missing. You also have integral stops on this faucet. Make sure they are both fully open by turning them counter clockwise, or if they are 1/4 turn valves, make sure the screwdriver slots are horizontal, to be fully open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: