Pilot light could not be lit up

Old 06-03-08, 03:47 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light could not be lit up

Hi,

My water heater was working fine. It was deliberately turned off recently. Currently, the problem is I cannot light up the pilot light anymore.

In the past I had a similar but different problem. At that time, the pilot could be lit but it did not remain lit due to a faulty thermocouple. I fixed that by replacing the thermocouple.

Can someone offer any advices?

Thank you in advance,

lucsy

Old 06-03-08, 05:05 PM
In a similar situation just last weekend, I could not relight my own pilot. I disassembled the pilot burner. In the connection where the 1/4" aluminum tube connects to the pilot burner nozzle, is an orifice with a VERY small hole in it. I blew that out, and it worked right away. Some little spec of something got in there while I had the gas lines disconnected, or was dislodged just from me banging on the water heater with a 24" wrench@!

Old 06-03-08, 11:40 PM
L
Hi 594tough,

Your story gave me an idea. I will try to check the small section of the gas line connecting to the pilot light for any obstruction.

Thank you for your response.

lucsy

Old 06-04-08, 03:39 PM
L
Hi 594tough,

Thanks to your help, I fixed the problem. That hole was tiny and was plugged.

Would you like to know how it was plugged? ... No ... I did not bang on the water heater with a hammer or anything like that. ... Ok, here goes my confession. It was rather bizzarre. Hopefully, I will not make this mistake again. Usually people use a long match stick to light up the pilot. I did not have such sticks. I thought I was clever. I used a long candle to do the task. Guess what! The candle wax was the culprit. Somehow, it plugged up the tiny hole preventing gas from passing through! I could not figure it out the cause of the problem. Your story reminded me to open up the gas line and inspected it. So, to you.

lucsy

Old 06-04-08, 04:31 PM
You know, I have lit a lot of pilots but never thought to use a candle. Now I thank you for showing me why.

A good item to use is those long lighters we use for lighting our grills. everyone should have one in the cellar or junk draw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: