Water Heater Pilot Light

Old 06-10-08, 05:57 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Pilot Light

The pilot light on my hot water heater has gone out several times over the past two days. In searching, it appears that a failed thermocouple is a common problem.

However, the normal symptoms I read for a failed thrmocouple are that the pilot will not stay lit after releasing the "pilot" button. Mine does stay lit after relighting, and the burner fires up when I turn the unit on. Subsequently, though, after heating a tank of water, the pilot light goes out again.

Is this also a common symptom of a failed thermocouple as well? Or, does it sound like there is another problem?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-08, 05:57 PM
Can be thermocouple on the margin, gas valve on the margin, but there are other problems.

1) If you are in a very hot climate and the water heater is in your attic, pilot problems are a known issue. ( If this applies, let us know and I will explain)

2) In general, and especially if it is a newer water heater, adequate supply of combustion air is important.

3) Sometime gusty winds blowing down the flue are trouble.

Old 06-12-08, 05:25 AM
G
Looks like was the thermocouple getting flakey. Worked on-and-off for a couple days, then failed completely about the time I got to the store to buy a replacement.

Installed and all is well.

Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: