Water heater leak

Old 06-19-08, 05:34 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater leak

I have a Rheem water heater and I noticed a leak coming from the top access panel. I assumed it was a bad element so I replaced it....still leaking. Upon closer inspection I found that water is coming in from the top of the plate that is located inside the access panel (above where the element screws in and the electrical connections are). I don't know much about water heaters but it looks to me like this plate is attached from inside the tank and maybe the seal at the top of the plate is broken. Any thoughts as to whether this can be repaired or should I replace the heater? I would like to know if it is fixable before I have a plumber come out. Thanks.
Old 07-02-08, 08:39 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums.

Since you mentioned "access panels", I assume that you are dealing with an electric WH.

The leak that you are seeing at the upper panel is ABOVE that panel. Check the supply lines at the top of the WH. Could be a supply line or it may be one of the nipples that the supply lines connect to.

Replacing BOTH supply lines and BOTH nipplles will cost you about $50. Try that first before you call a plumber who will cost you $100 +.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: