New hot water heater

Old 07-07-08, 08:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New hot water heater

My A.O. Smith hot water heater needs be replaced and the plumber is suggesting the same unit he put in 5 years ago (we have 2 zones and each heater has lasted >10 years), a 50 gallon model FSG 50 248. Three questions: should I be installing a tankless water heater (plumber says no because there are so many problems with these units). Secondly, shouldn't he be putting in a unit that is newer and presumably more energy efficient? Lastly, I am getting corrosion around the shut off valve and he is going to change out the valve. We are on city water so I am wondering what is causing the corrosion.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Tony

Old 07-07-08, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water heater

With the model # begining with "FSG", I presume this to be gas fired with a standing pilot. If that is the case, I certainly do suggest either a tankless or electronic ignition model. BTW, everyone I know who has a tankless, loves it IF it was sized properly.

Old 07-10-08, 09:47 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow, five years isn't much of a lifespan for a tank hw heater. The 'cheap' heaters at big box stores have 6-year manufacturer's warranties. Shouldn't this be covered? Corrosion near the shutoff valve. Hmm. Without seeing how its plumbed, one question: did the plumber use a dielectric coupling between the house (copper?) and the hot water tank (presumably not copper or brass) ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: