Elevating a water heater.

Old 07-29-08, 01:00 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Elevating a water heater.

I have purchased an electric lowboy (shorter than 2-1/2') water heater to replace the use of my oil fired boiler coil. I wish to elevate it to rest on a stand which I will use for storage. My search for stands resulted in finding only those 16~18" units intended for gas fired water heater safety. What I desire would be about 4 feet tall.
The diameter is only 22" and the capacity is 28 gallons = 224 lb.. Adding the weight of the unit results in the need to support less than 300 lb.
Will a heavy duty 24" wide metal storage rack do? I do not know the load capacity of the rack but its construction is sturdy.
Thank you.

Old 07-29-08, 05:39 PM
Without knowing more about the shelving unit, it is impossible for me to say it will not fall down. I know if I were going to try to use it I would at least put a 3/4" full length shelf over the metal shelf and make sure the shelves are anchored and stabilized before even thinking about it. You are probably better off making your own shelf with wood 2"x4"'s.

Old 07-30-08, 02:15 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I sure hope you don't plan on that 28 gallon electric water heater to supply anything more than handwashing and maybe a dishwasher.

Old 07-30-08, 04:17 AM
There are lots of people that use 30 gallon water heaters.

If he were to install a mixing valve on the tank, he could increase the temperature in the tank with the mixing valve setting the outgoing temp to the home. Essentially, increasing the hot water volume.

Old 07-31-08, 01:00 AM
W
Question Water Heater Clearance

Thank you for the advice. If I am to build my own cabinet to elevate the water heater how much clearance (the connections are top mounted) should I give it below the exposed joists of my boiler room ceiling?
As the boiler heater diameter is 22", should the width and depth of the cabinet be greater equal to or greater than 22inches?
P.S. - As 125 F is about the highest temperature that bare skin can tolerate for any length of time, I was planning to set the heater for 140 F and mix at the points of use. The water lines will be encased in insulation. The tub/shower will be virtually directly above the water heater, so I expect little temperature loss there. We handwash our foodware. For us, a 10ppm spray of chlorine is a much more practical after rinse than the 180 F that is used by automatic dishwashers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: