Noritz Noise Problem

Old 07-29-08, 06:00 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Noritz Noise Problem

I installed a Noritz on the outside of my home about 1 month ago and it's driving me crazy. It's Model N-0931M-OD - this is the model with the gas vent located on the front of the unit. Since installation my plumber and I have been trying to get Nortiz to come out and listen to a loud electronic noise the unit makes each time the hot water is turned on and off. Instead, the technician has had us try, at my expense, adding a valve check and pressure regulator -- neither of which has stopped the noise. Noritz now tells my plumber "This is the loudest Unit we have," and "It's probably the servo (a device that tells the burner to come on) and is normal."
Before I return the Unit and fight Nortiz on reimbursing me for all the expense, has anyone else had a problem with an electronic noise on Noritz. It lasts only for a few seconds but you notice it each and every time hot water is turned on anywhere in the house. Even more strange, when my plumber flushed the system, the noise stopped completely for about a day but was back within 48 hours.
My plumber has been so disappointed with Noritz's response he's recommended a client not buy 4 of the systems for his large home. Update: I just got a return call from Noritz and they say they are sending a tech out tomorrow - if this actually happens, I'll post an update. But, please, if anyone has any trouble-shooting thoughts, I would love to have your input. Many thanks.

Old 07-29-08, 06:50 PM
I would love to hear the outcome, thanks

Old 07-30-08, 12:58 PM
P
Noritz Sends a Tech

Noritz's tech, Damian, came out and diagnosed the problem. He said he has seen this on 4 other occasions. The servo regulating the water flow generates a noise during operation that travels through the piping. My house has hardwood floors on a pier-and-beam foundation, so the noise resonates throughout the ground floor. He said the "fix" is to isolate the Unit off the side wall of my house using rubber grommets and to insert a 3/4-inch flex pipe from the unit and connect it to the copper leading into the house. Damian said this would have the effect of isolating the unit. This doesn't always work, he warned me, but has dampened the sound a bit. I reviewed this with my plumber and he said flex pipes work on compression and are prone to leaking. In addition, 3/4-inch would choke our water flow since the main piping is 1-inch. My plumber was called by the supervisor responsible for all technicians, a fellow named, Bac. It wasn't a happy conversation with Bac essentially laying all the blame on the house. My plumber asked why there wasn't anything in the installation book about noise issues since this was a known problem. Bac didn't have an answer, didn't offer to reimburse my plumber for the misguided earlier "fixes," and refused to give the name of his boss so we could move this up the chain of command. The lastest is that Bac called back and is on the phone right now with my plumber. I'll keep you posted and please let me know if you've heard of this issue before. With the number of hardwood floors on raised foundations in California, I can tell you this is not good for Nortiz.

Old 07-30-08, 01:32 PM
Let me throw in my two cents here,

I have a 3/4" flex braided SS line from a water heater hook-up, so I know they make them. This is the type of flex line you would want to use. All we need to do is find out who manufactures them and if you can get it in 1". A copper flex line will still cause vibration.

I would be doing some major *****ing to that supervisor and there should definitely be some payback, especially for the parts he already made you put in for nothing.

Old 07-30-08, 03:48 PM
P
Noritz Noise

Thank you for the advice and many thanks for your support. My plumber said he will search for a 1" Flex Pipe and if that doesn't do the trick he's willing to "rip the darn thing out" and return it to the wholesaler. He does a lot of business with the wholesaler so he doesn't believe that will be an issue at all, particularly since it's under warranty. I'll keep posting updates to keep everyone aware. I have to say, we are absolutely shocked at the behavior of Noritz - and we're working directly with the company's North America headquarters in Fountain Valley, Calif.

Old 08-19-08, 05:18 PM
P
Noritz Responds

Update - Noritz called my plumber and said we should "isolate" the tankless heater but again refused to provide any financial relief for the bad advice that has already cost me several hundred dollars. Bac, the lead manager, also refused to provide the name of a senior executive we could speak with.

My next step is to report Noritz to the BBB and research the name of the lead executive through corporate filings in California. I've never experienced such a silly and unnecessary response from a company. I'm also a member of Angie's List so I'll fly a report there. If anyone has any suggestions on how to address this, please share. Best, Peter

Old 08-28-08, 07:54 AM
L
Noritz Noise Problem-tuba sound

We bought a Noritz tankless last fall, model number N-0751M. After 10 months we LOVE it but about a month ago it started making this weird, musical noise when the shower or laundry is used: sounds like someone is playing the tuba in our utility closet. A couple times it sounded like the Queen Mary was sailing into port! I haven't noticed it make that noise when using a sink or dishwasher, but if it's making the noise and I turn the kitchen faucet on, the noise changes pitch and gets louder. Plumbers have been out twice and have no clue. Spent a couple hundred bucks on a pressure regulator, which the plumber said I needed anyway. But it didn't solve the problem. Anyone have any clue? It's driving me nuts.

Old 11-17-08, 08:50 AM
D
Same Noise Problem

Peter,
I purchased a Noritz hot water heater and have the exact same problem as you described. A noise similar to a dull foghorn resonates throughout my entire house when the unit turns on and off. I have hardwood flooring throughout my entire house and a perimeter foundation. I called Noritz and the tech pointed me towards a website to purchase vibration dampers (at my expense). However, he indicated this might only reduce the sound 50%. This problem is a matter of poor engineering, but Noritz blamed it on my structure also when I spoke to them on the phone. Did the grommets and flex line eliminate the problem, or did your plumber return the unit? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-15-09, 03:46 PM
D
Brief fog horn/vibration noise on startup

A month ago I had two Noritz 751-DVCs installed. Right from the beginning there was a brief fog horn/vibration noise on startup. I put some small dampeners between the units and the wall - it helped a little with the accompanying vibration. I made sure that the venting and piping was not toughing anything (to vibrate against).... However, the fog horn and some vibration was still there.
I called Nortiz. The tech pointed me directly to the problem. The install manual clearly states " Installations at elevation above 2,000 ft. If this water heater is being installed at an elevation of 2,000 ft (610m) or higher, disconnect the connector labeled "High Elevation Disconnect" as illustrated on the the right. This connector is inside the unit. Disconnect the power to the heater before disconnecting the High Elevation connector....." I am at 4,500 ft. He had me pull off the covers and look for the "High Elevation Disconnect" (Lavender wire that is labeled) on the right side of the unit. Sure enough they were still connected. I disconnected them and the problem went away. Apparently the noise was from the burner kicking on and basically starving for air.

Old 05-15-09, 07:12 PM
I just took some gas training classes as part of our required continued education for our new gas licenses in NH and the gas co (National Grid) along with Burnham corp boilers and learned another issue causing the noisy burner sounds is often caused by undersizing of the gas piping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: