Anyone tried on demand electric water heaters?

Old 08-09-08, 01:56 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried on demand electric water heaters?

Want to buy this kind of waterheater but would like to hear from others if this works well. If so what brand and what capacity used or needed. Does it cost alot to use on a monthly basis? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 05:52 AM
J
I recall reading that they will fail early if used
with hard (vs soft ) water.

Old 08-10-08, 09:17 AM
F
i have a rinnai propane unit with a 40 gal elec back up
i put in the propane unit, and with the price of gas. a put a
40 gal elec in,next to it. i had one hanging around. i really didn't trust it, when it was new. but it works good. my wife can run a 40 out, taking a shower, so i showed her!! can't run this out.

Old 08-10-08, 12:38 PM
F
The tankless waterheaters some are fine and some are not worth a hoot.

Gas verison are not too bad but you have to watch out with gas pipeing size a good plummer will tell you if the exsting gas system can handle the load.

The electric tankless verison it will depending on the model itself and the other issue it may cropped up is the electrical system it can really put on a bit of load.

somecase you have to upgrade the electrical servce minuim of 200 amp service or larger depending on the load demand caluation.

There are quite few differnt models of tankless heaters.

They are useally rated by flowage and tempture rise.

I am sure few other members here whom have experince with them they can chime in here as well.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-10-08, 01:45 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I wouldn't have a tankless electric domestic water heater if it was free and included a lifetime warranty.

Old 08-10-08, 03:32 PM
F
HEY FURD.. IS THAT YOUR FINAL WORD ON IT?
ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANNA TELL ME HOW YOU REALLY FEEL???
i don't trust em either, thats why i put in a backup. frodo

Old 09-25-08, 07:36 AM
S
I have a SETS 280 model electric tankless. Installed 18 months ago in brand new house. Upgraded electrical service at construction from stock 200 amp to 400 amp (technically 320 amp but two 200 amp panels). I'm ticked at SETS because they sold the company name to Hiubbell. That lifetime warranty I had on parts in no longer vaild. I can get reduced pricing for parts when I need them or get a new Hubbel tankless for a greatly reduced price with trade. Figures.

Works as advertised but mom doesn't care for it because it acts differently than traditional electric hot water. They aren't designed for repeated on/off at the sink. They work much better at showers. It seems to take a little longer to get to temp but once at temp runs fine. I like the no electrical useage when not using hot water. I like the unit. Other friends I have who are married say their wives also have similar complaints. Must be a gender thing.

To accomodate the little woman, I will likely install a traditional hot water heater as a pre-heater for the electric tankless. My garage is insulated. Will take the storage water from 55 degree inlet temps to 90. New tanks are about 95% efficient and much better insulated than the old tanks. Will then get almost (I think) hot water throughout the house and the wife can enjoy her rinse features at the sink.

What really intrigues me is the heat pump hot water heaters. They will be the most energy efficient heaters on the market. GE is manufacturing one and will be available probably late 2009. There are aftermarket kits to retrofit existing hot water tanks.

I'm toying with the idea. I have sufficient room in the garage venting would not be an issue. Efficiency would be very similar to a traditional heat pump which is signicantly better than traditional electric resistance.

If worse comes to worse and my "fix" doesn't make the wife happy, I can always just shut off the electrical to the tankless via the breaker box next to the unit and crank up the storage tank electric to 110 degrees and be OK.

I'll need a storage tank regardless when I finally get solar panels and plump a hot water tank for that.

Old 09-25-08, 03:35 PM
H
When considering a tankless water heater conversion you really need to do your homework to see if you are really going to save as much as your think. The tankless heaters (in many cases) are cheaper to run but when you consider the added cost of a tankless compared to a conventional water heater, the cost to upgrade your electric or gas supply and the added maintenance costs it will likely take longer then the life of the water heater before you see any true savings.

Old 09-25-08, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The cost to upgrade your electrical service is usually VERY expensive.

Old 09-25-08, 09:52 PM
S
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
The cost to upgrade your electrical service is usually VERY expensive.
That's true. It's also why it only makes sense if you are going with new construction and not a retrofit. In my area the difference would be $1,000 vs. $5,000 .

Old 09-26-08, 04:54 PM
J
JOB
Electric Tankless Works Great

Hello, installed a Bosch electric tankless hot water heater last July. My water is supplied from a well and the pressure change can have a significant effect.

The biggest problem we had was taking a shower, when the kids turned on the outside hose the first time I was taking a shower I froze my ass as a result of the balance valve in the shower and well water not having pressure consistency. The fix would be to have seperate hot and cold valve feeding the shower/bath.

All in all I'm glad I installed it. I had an oil fired hot water heater that was costing much more than the $30.00/month extra I'm paying in my electric bill.

I installed the unit myself, which included mounting,plumbing and a sperate sub panel and wiring. The cost of the materials was substantial but I believe that I am saving money every month that I use it.

The downside is that if it the unit ever crap out I'm SOL, becuase there is no one in my area (upstate NY) that service these unit. If your not handy with a multi-test meter your in trouble.

My wife and I have three children that get a lot of use the hot water heater, no major complaints thus far.

good luck
JOB