Hot Water Leak Normal ?

Old 08-15-08, 03:29 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Leak Normal?

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "leak", but I noticed a small amount of water (not puddling and about 4 inches x 8 inches) directly next to my hot water tank yesterday, and it is still there today. I am pretty sure the water is from the tank, as there is nothing else that could have caused the water to be there.

I live in Phoenix and the hot water tank is in my garage. It is about 110 outside and 120-130 in the garage.

Should I have the tank serviced?

Old 08-15-08, 04:35 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Domestic Hot Water Heater ?

there is a forum specifically for domestic water heaters, here we mostly talk about heating, and fire ...

But, "serviced" ?

My guess is replaced. How old is the heater ?

Does it look as though the water could be coming from a pipe that comes off a valve on the top, and points toward the floor ? If so, your pressure relief valve could be shot, and maybe the heater OK ...

Look closer and see if you can find where the water is coming from.

Is there an 'expansion tank' on your system ? Looks like a small propane tank hanging from the pipes near the water heater.

I'm probly gonna move this thread to the 'Water Heaters' forum soon...

Old 08-16-08, 04:52 PM
L
Sorry for posting this in the wrong thread.

Anyway, no expansion tank. Not sure on the age as we moved into the house about a year ago. The Energystar label has the year 1994 on it, so I would guess 14 years old.

I could not find any water coming from the pipes or any other part of the unit (water is coming from the bottom).

24 hours later I still have water, a little less but still some. Since my garage is 120 degrees and would have caused a spill to evaporate I am pretty confident that I have some sort of leak.

I still have the home warranty and I am going to call in a claim.

I know the home warranty companies can be tricky with trying to get out of covering a claim, should I do anything to the hot water tank before they come out? I was thinking of draining it to clean it out.

Old 08-16-08, 06:02 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, you should have the tank serviced:

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 08-16-08 at 06:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: