New Water Heater taking hours to heat

Old 08-18-08, 01:05 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Water Heater taking hours to heat

Hello!

Unfortunately I know very little about what I'm talking about, but hopefully I can tell my problem enough to get an answer passed on to the guy helping me.

So, last week I had to have my water heater replaced (long story). I got a brand new 40 gallon water heater. At first, this didn't work at all - no hot water for a couple days until my friend came out and said I needed a new breaker. He replaced my (excuse my lack of knowledge) 2 - 20? breakers with 2 - 30? breakers and said I should have hot water within an hour. I had....warmish water within 2 hours, and hot water within 6 or 8 hours.

Now, my problem is that when someone in the house takes a shower, or in any way used "all" the hot water, it takes several hours, even half day in some cases, to have hot water again.

Any ideas as to what is causing my water heater to be so slow? When the water is hot, it's the perfect temperature, but it just takes forever to get there.

Thanks!
-Alicia

Old 08-18-08, 02:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Start by opening the cover on the top of the heater or the the top access for the upper element, and do an electrical test. We need to find out if you are in fact getting the correct voltage to the water heater. If you do not have a voltage meter, you can buy a cheap one at radio shack. You should be getting a reading of 220-240v. If less than this the problem lies within your electrical box or wiring. If your test is normal, the problem is in the water heater. It could be wired wrong, or defective parts, etc.
Respond after checking proper voltage.

IF YOU ARE UNSURE, DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS, OR JUST PLAIN DO NOT WANT TO PLAY WITH ELECTRICITY,
STOP HERE AND CALL A PROFESSIONAL !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: