Gas water heater flush out valve not closing

Old 08-28-08, 10:44 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a Mor Flow water heater. I opened the flush out tap (after connecting it to a garden hose) at the bottom side of the heater for flushing it.
After flushing the water, I tried closing the tap. Due to some reason the vlave is not shutting off the water completely when I close it. Up to a point it slows down the water draining but it increases again when turned further.

Does this valve require any special setting or is there any other problem with it?

I will appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Old 08-28-08, 01:00 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I assume you mean drain valve when you write flushing valve. If this is one of those silly plastic handled valves then the thread is probably stripped. The best solution is replacement with a brass nipple and a ball valve.

Old 08-28-08, 03:39 PM
J
Many heaters today have inexpensive plastic valves. When you flush the heater, lots of hard grit comes out, and when you close the valve you often catch a piece of grit in the valve, scratching the surface. It will then leak forever. If it is an older heater, just put a catch pan under the valve(remember to empty it). If not so old, replace the valve as suggested above. You will have to drain the heater for that.

Old 08-28-08, 05:18 PM
Hello

I am assuming you are talking about the drain at the bottom of the tank. After opening them, sometimes you will get rust pieces in them or the washer inside it may be no good. Is it leaking from under the handle or from the spout? If the spout just buy a brass hose cap, and cap the spout. This will usually do the trick. If from under the handle, you will find a nut right below the handle that may just need a little tightening. This is called the packing nut. If it is plastic, be careful not to over tighten it and crack the nut. Then you must replace the valve.

The best fix is a complete replacement as furd and bill have suggested.

Old 09-02-08, 07:56 AM
V

Furd:
Yes, I am talking about the drain valve and yes, it has a plastic handle. It must have stripped threads as you suggested. I will try replacing it as you advised.

Thanks

Originally Posted by furd
I assume you mean drain valve when you write flushing valve. If this is one of those silly plastic handled valves then the thread is probably stripped. The best solution is replacement with a brass nipple and a ball valve.

Old 09-02-08, 08:03 AM
V

Plumbingods:

Yes, I am talking about the drain at the bottom of the tank. It is now leaking from the spout. I like your advice and will buy a hose cap and close the spout. I am hoping that it will fix the problem and I may not have to change the valve.

Thanks for the practical advice.

Originally Posted by plumbingods
Hello

I am assuming you are talking about the drain at the bottom of the tank. After opening them, sometimes you will get rust pieces in them or the washer inside it may be no good. Is it leaking from under the handle or from the spout? If the spout just buy a brass hose cap, and cap the spout. This will usually do the trick. If from under the handle, you will find a nut right below the handle that may just need a little tightening. This is called the packing nut. If it is plastic, be careful not to over tighten it and crack the nut. Then you must replace the valve.

The best fix is a complete replacement as furd and bill have suggested.

Old 09-02-08, 08:08 AM
V

Just Bill:

Yes, it is a platic valve and is now leaking from the spout. I will try capping the spout as suggested above and will also place a pan under the spout till it stops leaking. I am sure that it should fix the problem.

Thanks for the practical advice.

Originally Posted by Just Bill
Many heaters today have inexpensive plastic valves. When you flush the heater, lots of hard grit comes out, and when you close the valve you often catch a piece of grit in the valve, scratching the surface. It will then leak forever. If it is an older heater, just put a catch pan under the valve(remember to empty it). If not so old, replace the valve as suggested above. You will have to drain the heater for that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: