Lp Hot Water Heater Won't Light Burner

Old 09-13-08, 06:12 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lp Hot Water Heater Won't Light Burner

The pilot light comes on, but the burner won't. The power vent runs most of the time. If I pull the vacuum hose off of the motor and put it back on the pilot light ignites and I can hear it still try to spark it (normal?). If I cycle the vacuum hose on and off the motor several time I can get it to light the burner. It is Rheem that is about ten years old.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-13-08, 12:44 PM
H
Two things come to mind. First and foremost, check the exhaust pipe. There is a chance birds, bees or some other creature have built a home for them selves there. This will restrict the flow of the exhaust and prevent the heater from firing.

Second, that tube is connected to a pressure switch. If you are handy with a multimeter, check the voltage of the switch while the heater is trying to fire. If you have voltage on one side and not the other, it is likely a defective switch.

Old 09-13-08, 07:17 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hankhill6018
Two things come to mind. First and foremost, check the exhaust pipe. There is a chance birds, bees or some other creature have built a home for them selves there. This will restrict the flow of the exhaust and prevent the heater from firing.

Second, that tube is connected to a pressure switch. If you are handy with a multimeter, check the voltage of the switch while the heater is trying to fire. If you have voltage on one side and not the other, it is likely a defective switch.
you may also want to clean flame rod and pilot.

Old 09-14-08, 08:41 AM
M
vacuum switch has 30VAC on both sides when the vent motor is running. I also disconnected the vent tube (to check it for being clogged) and it made no difference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: