Wiring a new electric water heater

Old 09-15-08, 07:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a new electric water heater

Thanks for the reply. Apparently Lowe's doesn't carry "exactly what I need." Am I looking at an electrical contractor supply? Thanks again!

Last edited by surferfletch; 09-15-08 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by surferfletch
Any insight is appreciated.

I'm looking to wire a new water heater tomorrow. The old water heater was wired with 10/3 STRANDED copper wire, but the top of the new heater says that 10 gauge SOLID copper wire is required. I bought the water heater at Lowe's and went to the electrical department to get the proper power cord to go from the box to the heater. I mentioned that I needed 10 gauge solid copper wire and the guy cut me 5 feet of "exactly what you need." Now that I have it home, it looks exactly like what was used previously - stranded copper wire. Do I need to take this back and get a different power supply cord?
YES... The stranded coper wire is not the proper wire for the job. it will be more apt to getting hot and not carrying the proper amps.

Old 09-15-08, 08:53 PM
S
I'm looking to wire a new water heater tomorrow. The old water heater was wired with 10/3 STRANDED copper wire, but the top of the new heater says that 10 gauge SOLID copper wire is required. I bought the water heater at Lowe's and went to the electrical department to get the proper power cord to go from the box to the heater. I mentioned that I needed 10 gauge solid copper wire and the guy cut me 5 feet of "exactly what you need." Now that I have it home, it looks exactly like what was used previously - stranded copper wire. Do I need to take this back and get a different power supply cord?

Old 09-16-08, 06:41 AM
S
I went to several places to find some solid 10-2 with ground in an orange jacket. However, everyone looked at me funny when I said I needed solid wire to hook up a water heater. "That's all they've used for years" is what I heard when showing the old stranded 10 gauge that I'm looking to replace. Any explanation?

Old 09-17-08, 07:17 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Stranded copper wire has the exact same amperage capacity (ampacity) as does solid copper wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: