Basement flooded-how do I dry out my water heater?

Old 09-16-08, 12:18 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Basement flooded-how do I dry out my water heater?

PLEASE help me...My basement flooded and I can't get my water heater to start.
I was told it needs to be dried out. It is only 2 years old, and has an electric ignition. I only had water for a couple of hours in the basement and have had a fan on it for 2 days. I can't afford to replace it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

Old 09-17-08, 03:17 AM
H
How deep was the water?

Assuming you have a gas water heater as it had electronic ignition, if the hot water heater control valve was submersed in water, it needs to be replaced. If any of the electronic components were submersed, they too should be replaced.

If you can post the make and model of the water heater and the depth of the water it would be helpful in determining what the next step is.

Old 09-17-08, 12:43 PM
If it was only the burner under water, you may be able to get it working, but if the valve was submerged, you will want to do as Hankhill6018 has suggested

Old 09-17-08, 07:13 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Have you called your homeowners insurance agent? Depending on HOW your basement flooded you may be eligible for some insurance payment.

Old 09-18-08, 05:44 PM
If the water reached the level of the burner, or above....you have no choice. Insurance should cover it. It is so dangerous to use a water heater with compromised components that all the manufacturers INSIST that repairs are not ALLOWED. And in essence their instruction have the force of law, because plumbing codes always invoke "manufacturer's instructions" as the final word.

I know you wanted some better advice, but we are talking about a serious danger here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: