TP valve Problem on new Gas tank.

Old 09-18-08, 09:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
TP valve Problem on new Gas tank.

I recently installed a new Kenmore 40 gal. gas water heater in my house and had to remove the TP valve to and up-right position. The thermostat is set to 120* . Latter that night the TP valve went off two times. I cut the temp down and the problem stopped but the water was not hot enough for a good shower so i cut it back up and a few hours later the same problem.

Does this have any thing to do with moving the TP valve?

Old 09-19-08, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums, y'all! It probably isn't the T&P valve, but the lack of an expansion tank that should be installed on the cold water inlet side of the tank. Water enters your tank and fills it and the pipes before and after it. When heated, water expands. Where does it go? Uh-oh, the T&P is doing its job. These expansion tanks are available at the big box stores for about $35 and can be installed upright or upside down (usual install) just before the tank inlet. Let us know how it goes with the install.

Larry

Half of communications is listening, and you can't listen with your mouth.

Old 09-19-08, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
t&p

You should check the water pressure and who says that the t&p is not defective it happens it was made by man its foulable.

Old 09-20-08, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
He didn't have the problems with water pressure before, but it is a good thing to keep a check on. T&P valves, although tested prior to release to sale, could conceivably fail, although rarely. Now we are back to a code item where he lives. An expansion tank may be required in his locality, and certainly will help prevent over pressurization of the system. By all means change the T&P, but consider the expansion tank as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: