Steam boiler/indirect hot water tank?

Old 10-02-08, 09:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Steam boiler/indirect hot water tank?

wondering if anyone uses a indirect with a steam boiler...? are they energy efficient?

Old 10-03-08, 02:02 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
In my opinion nothing involving steam and residential (single family) heating is energy efficient.

However, if you are asking if an indirect domestic water heater may be piped to a residential steam boiler the answer is yes. There are some caveats that must be understood before doing so.

Old 10-04-08, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes, when my separate hot water tank goes. i'd consider one of those indirect tanks...i'm sure the piping would have to be below the boiler water line...i'd like to match my dunkirk boiler with there artesian indirect tank.

http://www.dunkirk.com/products_indirect_artesian.asp

Old 10-05-08, 05:20 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Correct, the connections need to be below the water level of the boiler. All the connecting piping needs to be non-ferrous metal (copper) and you need a bronze circulating pump.
The thermostat on the water heater will control the circulator and there needs to be an aquastat on the boiler (under control of the water heater circulating pump) to fire the burner to a temperature necessary for the water heater but less than steaming.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: