Water heater needs frangible element

Old 10-09-08, 11:20 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater needs frangible element

Hi there, I have a problem with my water heater. It has design described US Patent 6715451 - Fuel-fired heating appliance with combustion air shutoff system having frangible temperature sensing structure. (...During firing of the water heater a combustion air shutoff system having a heat-frangible temperature sensing structure disposed within the combustion chamber senses an undesirable temperature increase in the combustion chamber, caused by for example a partial blockage of the flow path, and responsively terminates further air flow into the combustion chamber, thereby shutting down the burner, prior to the creation in the combustion chamber of a predetermined elevated concentration of carbon monoxide.)

In particular it has the Combustion air shutoff element described in United States Patent 6,814,031 Combustion air shutoff apparatus for a fuel-fired heating appliance.

I own my water heater and I have called an approved Heating A/C mechanic and he never heard about such water heater design. He can replace it, but first we need to get that part.

Water heater needs frangible element, it looks like this:

Old 10-09-08, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Without a Brand and Model number you won't find much info. Patents cover many, many things that are sold to many, many companies.

I'm guessing yer not in the US? Might be cheaper to get a new WH more common to the area you live?

btw...normally plumbers work on WH.

Old 10-10-08, 04:52 AM
P
Thanks for your reply Gunguy45,

it is FURY water heater model DRP50-45FV1.

The Water heater would start and then stop as the air flow into the combustion chamber is blocked by the spring door holded by that frangible element which is burned...

Old 10-10-08, 08:35 AM
P
I have found similar Rheem unit here:

http://www.isaacheating.com/Homeowne...t=20&subcat=49

Exclusive, Air Shut-Off System
A Unique Rheem Feature - Should a spill incident occur, the Guardian System shuts off the gas supply and the air supply preventing a sustained vapor burn in the combustion chamber. This one-of-a-kind, air-and-fuel shut-off device provides extra reliability and ultimate protection.

The system completely shuts off the combustion chamber when a FVI occurs; this includes gas and air. The air shut-off system avoids overheating the unit in an uncontrolled burn.

I need that part...

Last edited by piezomot; 10-10-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-10-08, 11:34 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I think that you will find that is not a user-replaceable part and that indeed you are required to replace the entire water heater if it activates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: