Whirlpool water heater

Old 10-21-08, 07:38 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool water heater

About 8 years ago I bought a Whirlpool Flame Lock water heater. The pilot light quit working. I went to change the themal coupling and can not find the left hand thread thermal coupling. I checked at three different Lowes and various hardware stores. No one had heard of a left hand thread thermal coupling. Can I replace the control unit and put on a right hand thread thermal coupling?

Old 10-22-08, 07:40 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The Whirlpool water heaters have a poor reputation with professional plumbers. That particular water heater has been the subject of a class action lawsuit I believe. I do know that Whirlpool has redesigned some parts and they do offer new parts under some circumstances.

However, at eight years of age you might be better off getting a new water heater. Eight to ten years is the "average" life of a gas water heater although some fail earlier and so last longer.

Old 10-22-08, 10:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle68
About 8 years ago I bought a Whirlpool Flame Lock water heater. The pilot light quit working. I went to change the themal coupling and can not find the left hand thread thermal coupling. I checked at three different Lowes and various hardware stores. No one had heard of a left hand thread thermal coupling. Can I replace the control unit and put on a right hand thread thermal coupling?

Call whirlpool, I've heard they will send out a new burner assembly which includes a new t'couple and an adapter to right hand t'couple. I don't know if they are still doing it.
You probably already know the reason for the left handed threads, is because the t'couple incorporates a fuse link safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: